U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 12:30 AM

2,157 posts, read 2,745,742 times

Advertisements

I bought two speakers and a t-amp. Now, I have a total of 27 speakers in my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 03:40 AM

26,158 posts, read 15,735,305 times
I last got a record player/cassette/radio combo @ salvation army...... (A few weeks ago)

The sad part is THE TURNTABLE DOESNT WORK!! (I should have plugged it in there to see if it worked)..... I guess I figured I might be able to get it repaired (But now I dont wanna bother I dont think)

I got it as I wanna copy some of my records onto a cassette.......

The tape decks and radio work fine... I dunno if a belt fell off or what....... The motor kicks on when ya slide the arm over but the table doesnt turn......

Old 01-15-2017, 10:31 AM

2,895 posts, read 1,700,526 times
Turntable problems are most common in belt driven turntables where the belt decays away. But that's in better turntables. Yours is probably driven by an idler wheel. Those can be glazed, but I bet your problem is elsewhere.

If this is a combo like you say, and it's low end, the turntable will sound like crap anywhay - ceramic cartridge, lots of wow and flutter, heavy tonearm weight that is guaranteed to destroy your record grooves in a few playings, making a 128kb MP3 sound like nirvana.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:55 PM

I hear ya buddy....

It is a YORX .. Have ya heard anything about them??

Old 01-15-2017, 06:03 PM

2,895 posts, read 1,700,526 times
Yorx is not a name noted for quality components. Yorks is not a name I've even heard of.

This blog has some interesting comments: History's Dumpster: Yorx And Soundesign Stereos

Here's a sample. Remember, their words, not mine!
Quote:
Yorx And Soundesign Stereos

They were cheap, made of plastic and.......Well, they were cheap and made of plastic.

They sounded tinny and weak too. But for a generation of kids who grew up in the '80s, this was their first actual stereo. They sold for less than $100 (often far cheaper.)

The cassette players were infamous. Often calibrated off speed (as were the turntables.) The radio reception was often limited to the most local stations, buttons and switches would fall off or break on a whim and the entire layout of the control panel was confusing even to the most tech savvy person.

But they somehow saw a generation through. Even though they were embarrassing compared to your buddy's full blown KICKASS Pioneer system, the one you really wish YOU had. But the only one you could AFFORD was this crappy thing.

It was REALLY embarrassing when the girl you've always wanted came to see your place. What was your excuse? "Ummm...er, my REAL stereo is in the shop getting fixed, I...um....had to borrow this from my kid sister...Yeah, you know, just something to listen to while......" as she's walking out the door. Probably to see your buddy with the Pioneer stereo and you KNOW he's gonna rub it all in your face the next morning......

Old 01-16-2017, 05:45 AM

Unhappy *

Hmmmmm sounds like its not worth fixing it.....

Thanx Bigbear

The one my grandparents had would have been excellent for this but sadly they passed away and thier daughter now owns the house and we dont get along (Havent ever)

Very sad.................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or