U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 10:46 PM

92 posts, read 125,194 times

Advertisements

So I am tired of Time Warner Cable for TVets and considering going with either DirecTV or Dish. Most of the comparisons I see online seem bias.

So what do you think the pros/cons of each are? The NFL package is free this season.....but i would never pay for it after that....so that is not a big deal for me.

What about the DVR boxes...Hopper vs Genie?

Thank you for any info you can share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 11:59 PM

18,511 posts, read 55,435,808 times
Won't have either now, but Directv was better than Dish IMO.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:47 AM

92 posts, read 125,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Won't have either now, but Directv was better than Dish IMO.
Did DirecTV have better picture quality or better programming?

Old 07-19-2016, 08:32 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,956,611 times
I thought Dish was better.
My problem with both is the 2 year contract. However for the first time ever, Dish will guarantee your price for the entire 2 years. It used to be just one. For that reason and that reason only I would recommend Dish.
There is no difference in picture quality.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:14 AM

3,957 posts, read 2,610,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_George View Post
So I am tired of Time Warner Cable for TVets and considering going with either DirecTV or Dish. Most of the comparisons I see online seem bias.

So what do you think the pros/cons of each are? The NFL package is free this season.....but i would never pay for it after that....so that is not a big deal for me.

What about the DVR boxes...Hopper vs Genie?

Thank you for any info you can share.
The NFL package is "free" every season. Notice the quotes. It is not free. If you do a direct comparison with a package from dish you will see that they are figuring in the cost of the NFL in your monthly fee in one way or another. These companies are notorious in the ways that they will come up with in charging you extra fees. I've had both and I can tell you from experience. Dish prices in the long run will be a bit cheaper and each service has their pros and cons. Also, they will promise you the world to get you to sign up but one you do, expect prices to start creeping back up especially after their introductory period.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Also, they will promise you the world to get you to sign up but one you do, expect prices to start creeping back up especially after their introductory period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
However for the first time ever, Dish will guarantee your price for the entire 2 years. It used to be just one.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:42 AM

3,957 posts, read 2,610,450 times
I dropped dish back in April. As a matter of fact I just got an offer from them in the mail. They want me back apparently. Yes, they do have an offer that states a 2yr price guarantee, BUT what they are offering is already at a high price. Higher that it used to be. For example, they are offering the America's Top120 plus at $49.99 plus taxes and fees. If I'm not mistaken, that package used to be offered at $29.99. So in essence, they are charging you the "real" price from the get go and not having to bother with "introductory" periods. It's just another marketing gimmick. The Top 120 plus is one the crappiest packages. I used to have the Top 250 and that is what I was satisfied with. The regular price on the package (for existing subscribers) is $69.99. Also, they offer the Hopper for $10 a month, but in the fine print it states a "Hopper upgrade fee may apply". Also, they offer "Free HD for life", but in my experience this is only if you are on autopay. Free HD should not even be considered and "extra" nowadays. Everything is HD including free broadcast TV on an antenna. One the plus side, I will say this, the picture quality is great. You will be stick in a contract and be ready to pay every month or pay a termination fee of $20 a month.

You can see the chart here.
https://www.mydish.com/upgrades/compare-packages

Old 07-19-2016, 11:09 AM

I had Dish for 3 years. I had no problems. Knowing the price upfront for 2 years...whatever the price is... is pretty nice.
Previously you had to agree to two years, only 1 guaranteed at the price and have NO idea what your price might be (since your locked into a 2 yr contract) after the first year.
AFAIK, DirectTV still only does 1 yr guarantee.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:10 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,415,601 times
I had DirecTV for a few years, and as far as the service itself went, I loved it. Great picture quality, and of course, the NFL Sunday Ticket is nice. The drawback in the service was that whenever we had massive downpours, the signal would freeze and go out. However, a workaround for that was to switch the channel to the SD copy, and you could still keep watching TV. But, the biggest problem with DirecTV was the price. For what I had (I can't remember the exact package), the introductory price was around $60/month. But even before the introductory period was over with, the price kept creeping up each month. By the time I got to the second year of the contract, the price had doubled. And here's the kicker for ya, DirecTV had it setup to where simply downgrading my package actually wound up costing me more than what I had. Now, I could get a few bucks here and there taken off, but they were still quite pricey. They had went up on my bill to around $120/month. I got them down to around $100/month, but I felt that was still way too much for a satellite package that included no premium movie channels.

Only reason why I had DirecTV in the first place was for the NFL. I didn't think I was able to watch the 'skins play, but alas, I was wrong on that. I was able to hook up an antenna (homemade one at that) outside, and was able to pick up the channels that would show Redskins games. Now, we do have, sort of, a barter and trade thing with my wife's parents. We share our Netflix and Amazon Prime with them, they share their cable account with us. So, we're able to watch a handful of cable channels on the Roku.

But, in terms of comparison between Direct and Dish, I'd say that it sounds like Dish has a better "deal" for folks than DirecTV. Honestly, I think these satellite companies are doing things backwards. They should be up front with the full price of their service and charge new customers that price and reward for loyalty.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:20 AM

18,511 posts, read 55,435,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_George View Post
Did DirecTV have better picture quality or better programming?
Dish does a shut down of receivers once a day, to limit the use of stand-alone DVRs and because the software sucks and apparently becomes unstable otherwise. That alone is a show stopper, since DVR is the only way I watch anymore, and that can break a recording.

The dirty secret of sat. tv is that the compression used varies according to the content and number of viewers. TCM often came in highly compressed and showing artifacts, while the big football games were gloriously detailed. As new sats go up, bandwidth increases, but so do the number of channels.

I had one of the first DTV installs and one of the first tivos, and for a few years things were glorious. Prices went up, commercials became more intrusive, and quality diminished.

About three years ago, I realized that due to the changes we had been reduced to only watching the news and a few cooking shows, that the movies were so horribly cut up and interrupted that they were unwatchable, and we were paying about $80/mo for what we could get free with an OTA antenna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics