Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 11:22 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,281 times

Advertisements

What's the point of Chromecast/Apple TV/Roku/etc etc when a new 2016 smart TV has all of the build-in apps and features of streaming/mirroring/etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 02:30 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Not all TVs are smart.
What if I want to watch on this new Samsung TV: http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN40H5003AFXZA
?

Old 06-27-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Not all TVs are smart.
What if I want to watch on this new Samsung TV: LED H5003 Series TV
?
Then you would have to buy a streaming device. I guess I should rephrase this threads question - What is the point of streaming TV devices when you already have a smart TV?

Old 06-27-2016, 06:26 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
Then you would have to buy a streaming device. I guess I should rephrase this threads question - What is the point of streaming TV devices when you already have a smart TV?
SW interfaces and features and apps are different among the devices -- with the TV usually coming out on the short-end. TV sw doesn't get updated as often as the streaming devices neither.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:58 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
If you already have a SmartTV you probably would not buy a Roku.

If you have neither, you can save some money.
'Regular TV's' are generally cheaper.
If a brand new fancy Roku comes out with some killer feature, you can upgrade a lot cheaper then buying a whole new TV.
Roku's (and the other add on devices) get updates FAR more frequently then any other TV maker.
TV's are expensive items meant to last for a very long time. Add on Streamers aren't and are easier to upgrade.
Not to EVEN mention you are at the mercy of (let's say) LG. LG decides for you want channels your "Smart TV" can use. It ONLY gives you xx, yy and zz. Roku/Apple/Amazon have 100's of channels available for you to pick and choose form. (Roku is into the 1,000's....).

Old 06-28-2016, 10:11 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
What's the point of Chromecast/Apple TV/Roku/etc etc when a new 2016 smart TV has all of the build-in apps and features of streaming/mirroring/etc?
Who buys a new TV every year? Or every few years? My Vizio VX37L is 9 years old.

Besides, I would bet that apps on a Roku are more reliable than the apps on many Smart TVs, at least given the anecdotal evidence I've seen.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:58 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times
Quote:
You can do a heck of a lot more with a Roku than you can with some smart TV apps. For instance, you can download a lot of cable TV apps to view on the Roku, instead of watching them in the traditional sense. Why would you do this? Well, if you have satellite and it's going out because of some heavy rain outside, you can still watch those channels through the Roku. You can also create your own Roku channels and install private channels that are not in the public Roku app store. Also, you can take the roku with you on vacation if the place you're staying at has internet. That way, you can still watch Netflix, Hulu, or whatever you subscribe to.

Not only that, but some of the apps that are offered as "smart apps" on smart TVs are very lacking. For instance, the Netflix and Amazon apps on my Vizio are buggy and their user interfaces are horrible. Those apps work flawlessly on my Roku and PS4.

Another thing about some of those streaming devices is the ability to hack them and install third party apps that normally could not be installed on those devices. You can't really do that with your smart TV. You're pretty much limited to whatever it provides in its own store.

Honestly, I'd rather HDTVs not have the added "smart" features and just stuck with providing the best viewing experience as possible. Maybe instead of adding smart apps, add a built in Blu-Ray player as a standard.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:30 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Not to even mention, I am surprised that the OP wrote:

What is the point of streaming TV devices when all new TVs are smart?

That may be why he's confused. There are 1,000's of "Regular TV's" still on the market.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:43 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
^^^^
When you look at a TV with better/more features [more expensive] it will be 'smart' And there aren't 1000's of 'regular' TV's or even 100's And with Samsung, you can go to their web site to update the apps. on the TV

Old 06-28-2016, 09:17 PM

For the record, for those saying TVs are inferior - I recently purchased a new 2016 LG smart TV. I have also owned a chromecast in the past couple years. The "smart" features on the LG is better than the chromecast, I'm thinking of just throwing it away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics