U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2016, 10:40 AM

877 posts, read 588,359 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to buy a audio receiver for my living room, the main purpose is for large tv screen hook up to a sound bar and sub woofer and music to ceiling speakers. I'd rather have sound quality over loudness. My budget is $300 to $500.

In selecting a audio receiver what specifications should I look at to determine how good the equipment is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 10:57 AM

6,235 posts, read 6,120,755 times
Unless you want to spend the time learning the whats and whys, better off just looking at reviews of receivers in the price range.

The Best Home Theater Receivers Priced at $399 or Less

http://www.cnet.com/topics/av-receiv...-av-receivers/

Old 08-01-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Unless you want to spend the time learning the whats and whys, better off just looking at reviews of receivers in the price range.

The Best Home Theater Receivers Priced at $399 or Less

Best AV receivers of 2016 - CNET
ok this might work, thx.

Old 08-01-2016, 02:05 PM

26,158 posts, read 15,752,943 times
My SONY DE-185 is said to be 100 watts per channel (Its got 2 but I only use 1 (1 speaker))

Good luck buddy!!

Old 08-02-2016, 07:47 AM

2,906 posts, read 1,708,175 times
Used to be that watts have some meaning. That was decades ago, when it used to be continuous watts under a 4 or 8 ohm load. These days, some manufacturers talk about instantaneous peak watts, and who knows what else.

You could probably learn as much by looking at the rated power draw of the amp, say 3 amps at 120v, and use that to compare. Better, as others have said, read reviews.

Loudness is what interests us the most. And it is influenced by speaker efficiency, rarely stated and hard to compare, as well as amplifier output. Since you value quality over loudness, read the reviews, since output quality does vary.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:27 AM

2,157 posts, read 2,748,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude949 View Post
I'm planning to buy a audio receiver for my living room, the main purpose is for large tv screen hook up to a sound bar and sub woofer and music to ceiling speakers. I'd rather have sound quality over loudness. My budget is $300 to $500.

In selecting a audio receiver what specifications should I look at to determine how good the equipment is?
I would avoid the newest low end receivers. I rather get one that is a year or two older or refurbished, just make sure you buy it from an authorized dealer. And buy some 3rd party warranty. Better bang for the buck. I stick to the mid level brands from Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Marantz, & Denon.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ml?store_price[]=406-3000

Old 08-05-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
I would avoid the newest low end receivers. I rather get one that is a year or two older or refurbished, just make sure you buy it from an authorized dealer. And buy some 3rd party warranty. Better bang for the buck. I stick to the mid level brands from Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Marantz, & Denon.

Home Theater Receivers | Accessories4less[]=406-3000
Good tip, thx.

I'm thinking about getting one from Best Buy. At least I can return it if I don't like it.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:59 AM

2,906 posts, read 1,708,175 times
Good strategy. Chances are, unless you like shake your house deep bass, you'll be happy. If by chance you do like shake your house, best is to buy a self powered sub-woofer.

Higher frequencies need less power for volume, and our spatial sense comes from these. That's why you can get by with one low frequency (i.e. bass) speaker.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:33 AM

2,157 posts, read 2,748,438 times
OP,

I should have read your post more clearly. If you are going to use a sound bar. You are wasting money on a $500 receiver. Overall, soundbar is not on par with traditional speakers consisting of 5 speakers and a subwoofer. If you want quality, invest the majority of your money on speakers.

Most of your money should be spent on Speakers. Next is the Subwoofer. And finally, the least amount of money should be spent on Receiver. I can't say enough about getting good quality subwoofer or subwoofers. I love my four 15 inch subwoofers. Freaking Amazing!!!!!

Old 08-06-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
OP,

I should have read your post more clearly. If you are going to use a sound bar. You are wasting money on a $500 receiver. Overall, soundbar is not on par with traditional speakers consisting of 5 speakers and a subwoofer. If you want quality, invest the majority of your money on speakers.

Most of your money should be spent on Speakers. Next is the Subwoofer. And finally, the least amount of money should be spent on Receiver. I can't say enough about getting good quality subwoofer or subwoofers. I love my four 15 inch subwoofers. Freaking Amazing!!!!!
I would love to get a nice 5.1 system but I want to go with a small foot print set up. I do have a few speakers up the ceiling, plus I want to be able to stream music from a laptop or mobile device to those speakers + the ones out in the backyard. That is why I'm looking for a good reasonably priced audio receiver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or