U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-09-2016, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Somerville, MA
8,329 posts, read 16,443,905 times
Reputation: 9736

Advertisements

I know this is covered in a million different places out there, but I'm hoping for a more personalized response.

I have a 128gb iPhone 6. I like it a lot, but I would like a bigger screen. Naturally, the new iphone comes out in September (most likely) and I could look at the iPhone 7 plus for my larger screen. However, I really like the the look and specs of the Galaxy Note 7. It's the first time since I first bought an iPhone (2007) that I've actually considered leaving the apple phone behind.

About my phone usage:

I use my phone for everything. Everything. I navigate with Waze, I book trips, order food, pay for goods, text, watch video, use social media (personally and professionally), photos, videos, play games, etc.

I'm not a professional developer, "hacker" or "modder" by any stretch, but I do run jailbroken iPhones in order to tether for free and make minor modifications or add apps not supported on the ios appstore. I'd consider myself a relative power user.

I also use AppRadio in my car (plug in to a Pioneer head unit and use Waze, Pandora, etc. on the in-dash display). Appradio supports both IOS and Android.

At home, I have a high-end PC (no mac), but I do have Apple TV (though I do very little with my phone/apple tv) and I primarily use my iPad as my hand-held device in the house.

My perception is that an Android phone will allow me a little more freedom from a hacking/modding/rooting/app standpoint than my iPhone will. the Galaxy Note 7 also has a better display, better camera, and more RAM/processing power. The waterproofing is also nice.

What I'm afraid of is the following: Losing time learning a new OS. Losing the ability to send/receive standard texts on both my phone and ipad (one of my favorite features), or the general ipad/iphone compatibility in general. Software updates seem to be less seamless than iOS. Having to re-purchase apps I've already bought on the appstore.

What are your thoughts based on my own wants/needs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-09-2016, 01:13 PM
 
11,780 posts, read 8,764,027 times
Reputation: 3435
It's a personal preference. Android is far more customizable than iOS, but much more
fragmented and less secure. Learning the new OS is a pain, but doable. You can use Google hangouts to get messages on your PC, phone, tablet, but you would need to port your number to Google Voice I believe.

Software updates should continue to 6-12 months in most cases (sometimes longer too), if you want longer support you should consider a Nexus.

If you go with Samsung you lose Samsung Pay if you root, so you would need to be happy with what the phone can already do. Samsung phones are not universal, so the phone can only be used on the carrier you bought it from for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Somerville, MA
8,329 posts, read 16,443,905 times
Reputation: 9736
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
It's a personal preference. Android is far more customizable than iOS, but much more
fragmented and less secure. Learning the new OS is a pain, but doable. You can use Google hangouts to get messages on your PC, phone, tablet, but you would need to port your number to Google Voice I believe.

Software updates should continue to 6-12 months in most cases (sometimes longer too), if you want longer support you should consider a Nexus.

If you go with Samsung you lose Samsung Pay if you root, so you would need to be happy with what the phone can already do. Samsung phones are not universal, so the phone can only be used on the carrier you bought it from for the most part.
Thanks. I didn't know this part (bolded). That's actually a deal breaker. I'm in Canada a lot and I travel overseas multiple times per year. Being able to pop in a sim card and use my phone abroad is really important to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2016, 04:04 PM
 
11,780 posts, read 8,764,027 times
Reputation: 3435
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Thanks. I didn't know this part (bolded). That's actually a deal breaker. I'm in Canada a lot and I travel overseas multiple times per year. Being able to pop in a sim card and use my phone abroad is really important to me.
I was referring to domestic usage. None of the Samsung phones contain all bands used by Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, and T-mobile. iPhones, Nexus phones, and some Motorola phone are the most universal. For international use it will depend on the bands used in that country, so you might be able to use a T-mobile or AT&T Samsung in another country. If you want to switch between domestic carriers you will be missing some bands though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2016, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Somerville, MA
8,329 posts, read 16,443,905 times
Reputation: 9736
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I was referring to domestic usage. None of the Samsung phones contain all bands used by Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, and T-mobile. iPhones, Nexus phones, and some Motorola phone are the most universal. For international use it will depend on the bands used in that country, so you might be able to use a T-mobile or AT&T Samsung in another country. If you want to switch between domestic carriers you will be missing some bands though.
Thanks. I'm on AT&T, and usually I have no problem getting a sim for a GSM network abroad. It won't work on a CDMA network, but those are few and far between internationally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2016, 08:40 AM
 
447 posts, read 480,791 times
Reputation: 306
it depends. if you like absolute freedom of use when it comes to customization and free apps etc and a wide array of phones to choose from then yes go android. if you want reliability ease of use and security iphone is the way to go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2016, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Somerville, MA
8,329 posts, read 16,443,905 times
Reputation: 9736
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiselover View Post
it depends. if you like absolute freedom of use when it comes to customization and free apps etc and a wide array of phones to choose from then yes go android. if you want reliability ease of use and security iphone is the way to go
Thanks. I'm really in the former category. Reliability is important, but as I understand it, the better android phones are pretty reliable. We'll wait and see what the new iPhone has to offer, but unless it knocks my socks off, I'm leaning towards the Galaxy Note 7 (assuming gsm unlocked isn't hard to find).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:53 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top