U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 10:51 PM

5,990 posts, read 8,460,177 times

Advertisements

I didn't think about this for a while, but now I'm back to it. OK guys, help me understand this further...

I changed my mind about the 4. I might as well get the much cheaper streaming stick that they sell for $35 if I'm going to get this at all. I was looking around on the Roku official website, but I guess I'll have to call & actually ask them which channels of are actually free.

Also if the only free channels are what previous poster Bo, posted, that just won't do for me. I have my list of TV shows I like on various channels, so if Netflix alone is almost $10/mo & I add on channel A for $6/mo for example, channel B for another $___, channel C for another $__/mo, etc....all that adds up to where I might as well pay my $135/mo for cable TV that I'm paying now, right?

Plus, that $135/mo included my landline phone (which I'll never give up) & internet triple bundle. This will take some thought & deeper research whether to get a Roku. It seems too good to be true, but don't get me wrong, it seems good.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 11-21-2016 at 11:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 09:42 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
My old Cable Bill: $165 including Internet, Cable and "Phone".

My bill today: Internet only $60
+Netflix: $9
+Amazon: $9
+Hulu Plus: $11 (Yes, I splurged for the ad free Hulu)
+HBO Go: $16
+OTA Antenna: Free
All this runs on my Roku.

I am saving $55/month and have more stuff to watch then I possibly can.

Can I be blunt?
You are getting screwed by your cable company.
You refuse to give up your "Landline"? You know that is not really a landline, right? That is just a little box that lets you use your phone over your internet connection. The reason they bundle it and "save you money" is really for 2 reasons.
It doesn't cost them anything to offer it. You are already paying for the internet that it runs over. So they give you this "huge discount" and now you are locked into them for life as long as you want that "landline". They even suck you in by telling you if you cancel the 'landline' the price goes UP! Crazy because remember: IT COSTS THEM NOTHING TO OFFER THIS TO YOU!
How do they try to keep you with them forever now? Easy... If you are thinking about switching to a different provider you are going to see an increase. Call the phone company. What's a true landline go for these days? $20-$30/mo. Now you will be paying that much more every month?!? Better stick with my cable company!

Remember it costs the cable company -0- to offer you that service. They give you a better modem...which you pay rent for.
If I really wanted a "landline" I would get an Ooma. One time equipment fee, $100.
#1 Ranked Free Internet Phone Service | Ooma VoIP Phone
That is exactly what you have now.

Honestly, I think you should just stick with what you have. From what I have read that you've posted you are not cord cutter material. There's nothing wrong with that. I mean no offense. Not everyone is, that's all.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:23 PM

9,599 posts, read 12,534,106 times
If you are a slave to channels and shows, no amount of cord cutting will save you money. You are not going to save money buying channels to duplicate what you had on cable. You save money by refusing to pay.

I'm fortunate that I have the financial means to subscribe to any cable package I want. Heck I can afford to subscribe to cable and a satellite service at the same time. But, I was a slave to television watching. I cut the cord, not to reduce cost, but to free myself from the screen. I will never go back.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:03 AM

It's not about the money for me, either, Rabrrita. I'm happy you aren't a slave to the TV.

However, some of us know how to balance our lives between living life and watching TV.

Old 11-24-2016, 03:28 AM

Thanks guys for your comments. OK, I ordered this instead, the Roku Premiere+

https://www.hsn.com/products/roku-pr...bundle/8299810

I'll try it & if I don't like it, I'll return it. Everyone has different joys in life: Their kids, dancing, gardening, knitting, gambling, partying, drinking, etc. Well, I don't have/do any of those things. TV is my "simple pleasure". I like movies too...I go about once a month, sometimes a tad more, sometimes a tad less. I've always loved TV since I was a child. I had my set list of shows I watched back then too & I still turned out alright...got 2 Masters degrees, etc. So yes, I can afford my cable, but it never hurts to see what other possibilities are out there.

Traveling's another joy of mine. I'm trying to save up for a trip to the 2020 Olympics in Japan by the way, so I was just trying to find ways to save money & still enjoy my TV.

So, anyone know about this Roku Premiere+ ? I watch a good amt of shows on mainly channels Lifetime, Investigation Discovery & channels 7 & 11. Will I like it & save money? It looks like there are thousands of free movies too.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:05 PM

What is channel 7 and 11?

Do you know anyone that will let you use their TV provider login details?

Otherwise you won't get full access to either of those Networks by cutting the cable. This is why I don't think your're a great cord cutting candidate.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:15 PM

Yeah, you know I've been thinking of canceling my Roku order, but they shipped it the other day already, so maybe I'll still try it out. I have until like mid to late Jan to return it due to their holiday shopping return policy so it's a longer return policy than the norm year-round.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:19 PM

Well you should get a 2 month free trial of Hulu / CBS & Showtime.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:41 PM

Yes, I noticed that I could, but eh, I don't have time to watch all these things & cram them into 2 mos along with my work & other activities, so I'll skip that one, but thanks anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or