U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 09:53 AM

3,587 posts, read 2,576,611 times

Advertisements

I buy things generally from Amazon.

I USED to buy a lot of stuff from Newegg and Tigerdirect but Tiger kind of died off for me and Newegg ships with FedEX which I'm not entirely happy with AND Amazons return procedures are super easy!

So the majority is Amazon followed by Best Buy. If I need cables then Monoprice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 10:20 AM

28,648 posts, read 40,627,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
No. Don't you have to add that at checkout? I'd prefer to do it myself anyway, so if some dude did show up in white gloves (joke I know they don't ACTUALLY wear white gloves) I'd send him on his way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
No, there was just an email that it was being delivered in that fashion.
Do you have Amazon Prime?

Old 09-09-2016, 11:16 AM

11,853 posts, read 13,978,818 times
I have Prime, yes.

I think I know what it is. I didn't spend enough on my TV. You have to spend good money to get that service apparently (which is now called "enhanced delivery").
Attached Thumbnails
Do You Buy Your Electronics Online or In-store.-.jpg   Do You Buy Your Electronics Online or In-store.-b.jpg  

Old 09-09-2016, 12:46 PM

21,558 posts, read 24,696,878 times
I have prime. Purchased a high end Samsung one time and a middle of the road TCL another time (It's sort of funny the P's tns match my brands).

Old 09-09-2016, 01:16 PM

7,867 posts, read 4,277,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Mostly, we will look at items in the store, then buy online if we find a better price. Often it's Amazon Prime with free shipping. TVs are the exception, we won't take a chance on shipping a 50", and Costo has a great warranty.
Actually, I bought my 50" TV online and it arrived fine, but I have been dealing with the company for ages now and they would take returns if need be. (New Egg)

I buy most everything online nowadays.

Old 09-09-2016, 01:58 PM

3,587 posts, read 2,576,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Actually, I bought my 50" TV online and it arrived fine, but I have been dealing with the company for ages now and they would take returns if need be. (New Egg)

I buy most everything online nowadays.
Clothes are a hit and miss, but otherwise I agree.

I buy T-shirts from the internet all of the time. Pants though... seriously no point in getting pants online for me!

Old 09-09-2016, 02:41 PM

2,909 posts, read 1,709,430 times
I stopped using Tiger Direct after I bought a SSD with a $40 off rebate. Turns out to get the "rebate" I had to sign up for some sort of travel club. Didn't so no rebate.

Shady dealings by them IMHO. Too bad because not that many years ago they were a reputable company.

Still buy from Newegg but not as much now because so many products come from other companies through the Newegg storefront. Now I cross-shop Newegg, B&H and Amazon. I also do general google search but have not found any other vendors that I trust.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:50 AM

25,247 posts, read 18,718,110 times
Until this last month, I was in an apartment complex where everything was delivered to a clubhouse. The clubhouse opened after I went to work and closed before I got off. About the only time I could get in there was on Saturday, so I did buy more at retail. Luckily in Indianapolis, we have a Fry's electronics, so virtually anything I wanted or needed I could get locally.

Back here in east Tennessee, it's all over the web. Other than BB, there is no notable local retailer for any sort of electronics - it's actually worse than it was ten years ago because then there were local PC builders/repair shops that also sold parts at retail - today, that doesn't exist.

If something important were to die here and I don't have a spare part on hand, it will be a couple of days before I can get it.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:55 AM

11,853 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Also uses to be a TigerDirect fan and agree they've gone downhill. About half if what they sell bow us refurbished.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:53 PM

997 posts, read 609,009 times
I buy electronics online usually. I might look in the store to see what things look like but I compare prices and go with the best deal. The last couple of times I bought a laptop I went with refurbished. I am a cheapskate and I got what I wanted and it works fine. One was a gift for my son and I didn't want to spend a ton of money when I could spend less. These are middle of the road laptops and not a big investment.

Phones I buy online. It is easier and the item is the same.

If I were buying fresh produce, I would want to pick it out myself but if something is what it is, then online is usually easier for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics