Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 03:28 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times

Advertisements

Mine is a Dell. From Amazon. Saved a couple of hundred dollars and got 16GB RAM instead of 8GB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 06:28 PM

102 posts, read 90,212 times
I bought my gaming desktop from Digital Storm, UPS delivered it, I was watching that window like a Hawk. When it came I was so relieved that I just continued on with my day. When it comes to big purchases like a Subwoofer or a TV I would go with Best Buy. That's where I got my 48 inch TV at. My Dad bought his 55 inch TV through QVC and they delivered it, he still hasn't taken it out of the box yet.

Old 09-05-2016, 12:52 PM

253 posts, read 304,737 times
It seems rather ridiculous to not shop online just because one saw a video of a delivery person behaving poorly.

These days things are packaged extremely well. I always check return and exchange policies. If something arrives to me damaged, I return it for a new item. Easy as that. I let the place I bought it from figure out if a certain company or route is being too hard on packages and they can make their complaints accordingly.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,579 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Mostly, we will look at items in the store, then buy online if we find a better price. Often it's Amazon Prime with free shipping. TVs are the exception, we won't take a chance on shipping a 50", and Costo has a great warranty.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:08 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
As I said, I got my 55" shipped from Amazon. Trust me, no Fedex employee is going to throw your 55" TV over your fence. And even if you get a disgruntled one today and they throw it over a fence, these thnings are packed so well it would probably survive. Barring ALL that, if it was intentionally damaged, as Skyebright said: return it.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:25 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,505,394 times
When I was in the corporate world, we used to joke about the "UPS test" which was to throw the package as hard as you could against a concrete block wall, much like the UPS loaders sometimes do. If the contents survived, our packaging was OK.

In truth, there are shippers for sensitive cargo, and also shock sensors that get put in the packaging/crate for expensive, sensitive goods. Not much in the consumer goods space is that valuable or sensitive. Shippers understand that some breakage is part of the cost of doing business, and the cost is no doubt lower than the huge number of returns for defective goods that aren't. These get sold as open box or refurbished, depending on the retail contracts for who bears the risk.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,579 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I once made the mistake of buying a piece of crap Westinghouse TV, and had to ship it back when it died after two months, despite buying it locally at Sam's Club (Cancelled them since).
Packaging it back up, getting it to UPS or Fedex is a chore. With Costco's warranty, they come to the house to fix it. When they couldn't fix it and I finally got a refund 4 months later I went to buy a better brand at Costco. Now two years old, 3 more years left on the $45 extended warranty.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:01 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
As I said, I got my 55" shipped from Amazon. Trust me, no Fedex employee is going to throw your 55" TV over your fence. And even if you get a disgruntled one today and they throw it over a fence, these things are packed so well it would probably survive. Barring ALL that, if it was intentionally damaged, as Skyebright said: return it.
As mine also came from Amazon, it arrived via a White Glove carrier who unpacked the TV, verified for any damage, set it up on it's stand, powered it on and tested reception at no additional charge. Didn't yours come that way?

Old 09-09-2016, 07:19 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
As mine also came from Amazon, it arrived via a White Glove carrier who unpacked the TV, verified for any damage, set it up on it's stand, powered it on and tested reception at no additional charge. Didn't yours come that way?
No. Don't you have to add that at checkout? I'd prefer to do it myself anyway, so if some dude did show up in white gloves (joke I know they don't ACTUALLY wear white gloves) I'd send him on his way.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:39 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
No. Don't you have to add that at checkout? I'd prefer to do it myself anyway, so if some dude did show up in white gloves (joke I know they don't ACTUALLY wear white gloves) I'd send him on his way.
No, there was just an email that it was being delivered in that fashion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics