U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2016, 02:31 PM

8,706 posts, read 9,027,776 times

Advertisements

We are going from Froniter FIOS to DISH Network Hopper 3, 2 Joey 2's and the dark color hybrid dish.

Looking for feedback from people who have the newer system.

I hear it is the best technology on the market. Do you concur?

How is it during rain storms? We live in Florida?

What about begging able to hook up an outdoor antenna to it? Will it feed to all the TV's and can the DVR record from an OTA antenna?

Any tips post set-up?

Thx much in advance.

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 09-12-2016 at 02:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 04:21 PM

3,973 posts, read 2,617,954 times
They are now offering a 2 yr price guarantee on the service/package. They will find ways to sneak in extra charges. I had them for almost 4 yrs and finally got tired of the price increases and dropped them. I personally did not get my money's worth (never home) but I was happy with the picture and sound quality. Not sure about recording OTA. They may now support that. I know you can run antenna and dish signal on the same wire with a diplexer. Locals are (usually) free although they may not carry all of them.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:01 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,545,480 times
Living in Florida, if you are within 40-45 miles of a transmission tower, you should have a OTA antenna for back up. During the recent hurricane, I had almost no DISH reception for about two days because of the length and width of the yellow, orange, red rain bands. I'm lucky that my garage faces the tower. The antenna is in the garage attic. I have a separate co-ax that runs parallel to the DISH cable in the wall. Two outlets on wall. Antenna co-ax is connected to TV 'ant in' port. When I want to watch local channels, I use TV remote to change input from HDMI1 to TV.
I use the antenna to watch uncompressed HD channels and all the sub channels that DISH does not carry.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:24 AM

8,706 posts, read 9,027,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Living in Florida, if you are within 40-45 miles of a transmission tower, you should have a OTA antenna for back up. During the recent hurricane, I had almost no DISH reception for about two days because of the length and width of the yellow, orange, red rain bands. I'm lucky that my garage faces the tower. The antenna is in the garage attic. I have a separate co-ax that runs parallel to the DISH cable in the wall. Two outlets on wall. Antenna co-ax is connected to TV 'ant in' port. When I want to watch local channels, I use TV remote to change input from HDMI1 to TV.
I use the antenna to watch uncompressed HD channels and all the sub channels that DISH does not carry.
What brand/model antenna, if you do not mind? Thx much.

We are in Palm Harbor.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:44 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
They are all pretty much the same.
I have this one:
https://www.amazon.com/1byone-Antenn...rds=tv+antenna
I get about 20 channels.

Let's face it, there aren't a lot of different ways to make an antenna like that. lol

Old 10-22-2016, 05:23 AM

4,448 posts, read 5,450,646 times
looks like you'll need a usb device to dvr ota and might have problems
https://support.dish.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18415

Old 10-22-2016, 08:27 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,545,480 times
If you want to read feed back from hopper users go to support.dish.com look at the threads in the hopper/joey and receiver sections. One complaint I see is that if you are a night owl, there is nothing you or DISH can do about the system updates at 1AM. Dumb software programming. Also, if you use an antenna to get sub-channels, the dongle is not available at this time. Antenna would have to be plugged into 'ant in' on TV and use the TV remote to change 'input'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics