U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2016, 09:23 PM

8,706 posts, read 9,026,503 times

Advertisements

I am in Florida and although the scale goes up to 125, I range from 60-70. Clear LOS.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 08:24 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,544,082 times
When I had a 4300 SD receiver for a CRT TV, the scale went to 125, signal strength was always around 90 and video cut off was 25. When I purchased a HDTV and got a HD 211k receiver, the highest number I've seen is 58. With heavy rain and the signal drops to 15, I lose signal. Each receiver model has it's own software for measuring signal with it's own video cut off point. Higher signal strength does not improve picture quality. It's not like old antenna and analog and getting a snowy [noisy] signal. With digital it's yes or no. Your receiver getting 60-70 is considered very good.
When it rains, the colors on weather radar determine if you get signal or not. If red or orange is approaching, you will lose signal. To receive signal through red and orange rain clouds, you would need the size of the dishes at the Comcast office. btw- the elevation setting of your dish where it is pointing is not where the satellites are located. The arm of the dish is your elevation. Look up an additional 12-15 degrees for actual location of sats. Whether you use the east or west arc sats, they are over the equator, 22,300 miles up.

Last edited by d4g4m; 09-15-2016 at 08:32 PM..

Old 09-16-2016, 10:12 AM

3,972 posts, read 2,615,898 times
In order to get above the 90's you need to fine tune your antenna. Whoever installed it may have not taken the time to do so or it moved with the wind. If there's a clear line of sight to the satellites (no obstructions), there should be no problem. You could call Dish and complain of a weak signal and see if they send someone out free of charge. I have installed many satellite dishes over the years and even worked with the old C-Band back in the day. Since you are in Florida I would suspect the antenna was not tightened up enough and moved around with the gusty winds or a storm. You could do it yourself with a meter but why bother, since you are paying for it call and complain.

Old 09-16-2016, 03:24 PM

305 posts, read 187,950 times
Satellite Finder / Dish Alignment Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com

This website is a good tool to help you make sure your dish is properly aligned. I use it on the campus where I work when the grass cutters spin my satellite dishes around with their mowers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics