U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2016, 12:24 PM

2,454 posts, read 2,700,097 times

Advertisements

...When the guy came out and installed a new set-top box all my DVR recordings and scheduled recordings are now gone. I didn't know that would happen or I would have binge-watched all my current recordings. Technology-impaired here apparently. Phooey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 01:50 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,677,950 times
But now you have a larger hard drive to save more stuff on. You haven't gotten the letter/email to replace your modem yet?

Old 10-03-2016, 02:22 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,007,151 times
IIRC if you have normal Comcast service with a DVR STB, all recording are stored on the box. The X1 setup stores them on the Comcast cloud.

Old 10-03-2016, 03:09 PM

2,454 posts, read 2,700,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
But now you have a larger hard drive to save more stuff on. You haven't gotten the letter/email to replace your modem yet?
Okay, we'll that's good news on the hard drive. The guy brought a modem/router because I was with CenturyLink for internet until Comcast offered me a deal I couldn't refuse. So he installed the new set-top box and the Comcast modem/router.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
IIRC if you have normal Comcast service with a DVR STB, all recording are stored on the box. The X1 setup stores them on the Comcast cloud.
I don't know what DVR STB means.
Comcast has a cloud? Is that what they call their DVR storage?

Old 10-03-2016, 03:19 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,007,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I don't know what DVR STB means.
Comcast has a cloud? Is that what they call their DVR storage?
STB = Set Top Box, the Comcast tuner. Some have a built in DVR with a hard drive for storage.

The X1 service stores your DVR recording on their servers (cloud), as opposed to on the local STB hard drive.

When you swap a DVR STB you lose your recordings, when you swap an X1 STB you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics