U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 05:30 AM

351 posts, read 220,881 times

Advertisements

Hi all:

Can you recommend some apps/gps machines that will provide me current recommended traffic routes to help me with traffic each day? Seems like I often pick the wrong routes and end up being stuck in traffic.

Thanks..

shaggy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 06:08 AM

4,612 posts, read 8,207,121 times
Waze is probably still the most popular traffic/navigation app. Use it everyday on my commute. Information an be stale at times, but generally works well for updates, route changes, etc.

There is a social media aspect to it. So you can share your travel info w/ friends/family as well.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:17 AM

2,161 posts, read 2,239,336 times
Waze uses crowd sourcing for real time traffic updates and is the best navigation app I've ever used. I commute in the Washington DC area and rely on it to pick the best route during rush hour. You don't show where you're from OP, but the one draw back to crowd sourcing is that if you live in a rural area it's not nearly as effective as if you live in a heavily populated area. Since you're concerned with traffic though, I have to assume it would be a good alternative for you.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:34 AM

2,909 posts, read 1,709,430 times
Truth is Google Maps and Waze both use the same crowd sourced data. Google even owns Waze. This means you'll get the same help from either.

I use google maps and often pre-check conditions on a google map, since one option is to show traffic.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:00 AM

11,853 posts, read 13,978,818 times
No, there is a huge difference between Waze and Google. Google will NOT go out of it's way to reroute you because traffic is bad. It will only show you that your current route is congested.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:47 AM

5,375 posts, read 11,287,958 times
Also keep in mind that anything other than normal traffic is known to any GPS APP, only when reported by the responsible party for that stretch of road.

Our (150 dollar) Garmin GPS only *warns* us about *traffic ahead*, whatever that may mean ...

My (9 dollar) APP on my phone (I think as good as the Garmin for driving directions) does not mention traffic situations beyond *normal* .

When I used to drive the freeways for going or coming from work, I had to deal with stop and go traffic for several miles. I chose to use the surface roads, and actually was *on the road* for the same time but with less stop and go occasions (caused by red stop lights), compared to freeway stop and go which was every so many feet ...

Thru the years, the local DOT has added several routes to alleviate bad freeway conditions by widening the freeway system (add more lanes), and by creating *green wave* roads where you can have a green light as long as you keep your speed in check !

Old 10-05-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
No, there is a huge difference between Waze and Google. Google will NOT go out of it's way to reroute you because traffic is bad. It will only show you that your current route is congested.
This is most assuredly not true. I speak from personal experience. Also, if you google a bit, you'll find comparisons between GM and Waze. Both have differences, but not in time. The biggest difference I've ascertained is that Waze will automatically re-route you. Google Maps gives you a choice.

Irman, there is no "responsible party" for any stretch of road with regard to reporting traffic. There are, however, many ways of gathering traffic information, including feeds (in some places) from folks who manage the road. Google's success from GM and Waze is collecting crowd sourced information that is generally more timely and more accurate than other sources. This is one reason conventional GPS has lost favor. OTOH, unless you know in advance to download offline maps from Google, if you're out of cell range (quite common up here in NH) you lose navi. Not a problem with conventional GPS.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
This is most assuredly not true. I speak from personal experience. Also, if you google a bit, you'll find comparisons between GM and Waze. Both have differences, but not in time. The biggest difference I've ascertained is that Waze will automatically re-route you. Google Maps gives you a choice.
You think I don't use Google Maps, too? Yes, Google Maps ALWAYS gives you options. Coming to a place where you could take a different route, YES it will offer you "Click here, this will add 2 minutes to your commute".
Waze doesn't ask you. Waze doesn't offer. Waze sees an accident on I-90 and it TELLS me "get off at Hilliard". Google just says "I-90 is congested and your ride home just got longer" basically. I can manually choose a different route. Waze just does.

Quote:
OTOH, unless you know in advance to download offline maps from Google, if you're out of cell range (quite common up here in NH) you lose navi. Not a problem with conventional GPS.
So download the entire state. Problem solved.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:44 PM

Peregrine, your experience with Google Maps is very different from mine, unless you're confusing initial route options with alerts to problems and offered alternate routing TO SAVE TIME, not to add time.

Maybe you haven't used it in a while?

Offline maps? Great if you know in advance. Not so great if you forget.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Peregrine, your experience with Google Maps is very different from mine, unless you're confusing initial route options with alerts to problems and offered alternate routing TO SAVE TIME, not to add time.
I'm telling you, brother, it was 2 weeks ago. I get on the freeway, huge traffic jam JUST after I passed an exit, Goog says "Major traffic ahead, your commute just got longer". Waze would have just updated my route with no interaction from me to get off at the last exit.

Quote:
Offline maps? Great if you know in advance. Not so great if you forget.

Work pays for my phone. I manage the bill. As such, I pretty much can use all the data I please. As a good employee, however, I go out of my way to limit my data usage so the people I work with can use more. I always have a huge swath of NEO downloaded offline and available to me at all times. Every 3 months or so, Google asks me to refresh that data. I don't have to remember anything. Google does it for me.
Why not ALWAYS have offline available? Don't just download it when you think you might need it.
Unless, of course, you have a 16GB iPhone. With a phone with large onboard storage, the huge chunk of NEO that I download takes just under a GB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or