U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 02:17 PM

7,416 posts, read 16,904,145 times

Advertisements

Ok, we got rid of our old Sony "cassette" type video camcorder and bought a nice new Sony 405 Mini DVD video camcorder for ourselves as a Christmas present this year. Earlier this year, we decided to buy a Panasonic DVD Player/Recorder. We hooked this up to our TV, but, because the TV is an older model, we had to use a Converter Module to go from the DVD to the TV. We also have a VCR that I have hooked up cables from the "output" of the VCR to the "input" of the DVD Player/Recorder. In doing this, I have been able to transfer quite a few of our VCR videos to the DVD Player/Recorder (DVD's). I have a lot of patience and time to do this and it has worked out great for us. And, after recording/finishing a mini DVD on our camcorder, I simply take the disc out of the camcorder, put it in the tray of the DVD Player/Recorder, touch PLAY and in a few seconds the video starts. We only use Sony Mini DVD discs in our camcorder so we know there will be problem recording on them.
Since we do have some VCR tapes of movies that I can not transfer to DVD's, we are going to keep our VCR.
DVD video quality is by far better than VHS tapes. As far as buying a combo, I'd watch that! If you have a problem with the VCR, DVD or TV, you have to take the entire "combo" (piece of equipment) in order to have it looked at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2006, 02:27 PM

454 posts, read 701,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
DVD's are better quality and it is easier to start at a certain point than it is a vhs tape. And the space they take up is also another +. Be careful on the DVD recorders. This is a ROYAL PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not every DVD Player, recorder or dvd itself is the same. You have different types and they are all "read" differently. There is DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RAM, etc. So if you say buy a Panasonic DVD recorder and record something on disc and then try to play it on a Sony or JVC DVD player it may not read it. For once I would LOVE for these companies to just pick one type and stick with it. If you look on the manual and it should also be on the tag at the store and sometimes on the front of the DVD player/recorder itself it will tell what type of DVD's it works with.
I do occational DVD movies for drama productions, and I decided to use two different media so that if one did not work, I had another format to offer. I got the cheapy Staples brand DVD+R and went more high end Sony DVD-R. I figured, based on what I heard, that -R was the best for DVD players.

I was flabergasted when all of the Sony came back "does not work" and not one of the Staples brand +R failed. I could only get the Sony to work on a Sony player and on a computer DVD.

Now I do Staples exclusively. Go figure.

So, find the brand that works by purchasing small quantities of disks before you go out and buy the 100 pack that is on sale.

Old 11-30-2006, 03:50 AM

892 posts, read 2,217,547 times
Could be wrong but I have been told that most all stuff will play DVD+R and only some will do DVD-R. I have a dvd recorder and I use DVD+R to record with and I have no problem playing them anywhere, even on other people's dvd players or computers.

If you don't get a combo unit but still want to convert your vhs over, there is a program out there called Videoh! that converts VHS or camcorder tapes into cd's that will play in a dvd player. Someone gave me the program but I never installed it as I do not need it, so I can't tell you how good or bad it is.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:28 PM

3 posts, read 14,059 times
I agree with the opinion that the picture of dvd is better, i have bought a dvd player.You can use the tool named PC Sound Recorder and Editor which is designed to transfer sound recordings of music cassette tapes, vinyl LPs and videos so they can be recorded onto CD. You can download it from http://www.qweas.com/download/audio_...and_editor.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics