U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 03:59 PM

16,726 posts, read 29,333,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Well my "Smart TV" is a Roku TV so ... it's really just one unit with a CC hanging off of it.
A Roku TV, or TV with a Roku streaming unit? The Roku streamer is much like the Apple TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 08:33 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,002,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
A Roku TV, or TV with a Roku streaming unit? The Roku streamer is much like the Apple TV.
Not even close. The AppleTV only really supports iTunes, Netflix, and Hulu. Rokus support the most video subscription and purchase apps in existence.

People with Apple devices buy AppleTVs. People who buy from anything other than iTunes should never even consider them.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:07 PM

16,726 posts, read 29,333,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Not even close. The AppleTV only really supports iTunes, Netflix, and Hulu. Rokus support the most video subscription and purchase apps in existence.

People with Apple devices buy AppleTVs. People who buy from anything other than iTunes should never even consider them.
Perhaps you are correct, but:
https://www.cnet.com/news/smart-tv-or-media-streamer/
Quote:
The better media streamers, like Roku and Apple TV, have Amazon Instant Video (or iTunes), along with a lot of other content like HBO Go in the US or Sky's Now TV in the UK. HBO Go is available on numerous streaming boxes, but the only smart TVs that have it are from Samsung. Now TV is pretty ubiquitous in the UK.

The Apple TV also has the added ability to easily stream music from your computer, which I use all the time. Other TVs and streamers can do this, but it's not as smooth an experience.
Quote:
A vital component to any streaming device (TV or dedicated), is the ability to buy and rent current TV shows and movies. The two services with the most content in that regard are Amazon and Apple.
Quote:
It comes down to Amazon and iTunes. Being able to watch just about any show or movie whenever you want is huge, and most smart TVs just don't offer that ability. Many also have clunky, annoying interfaces, and they're not updated frequently.
In my case, I watch any of the free TV shows. All I have is to download the TV channel's app using the Apple TV, and then watch the NBC, CBS, and so on show. I can also control the TV with the remote, or just download a phone app, and control everything from it.

By the way, I don't disagree that Roku may be the best for non Apple users out there. According to this article it may well be the best:
https://www.cnet.com/news/chromecast...hould-you-buy/

Last edited by RayinAK; 10-29-2016 at 10:19 PM..

Old 10-30-2016, 10:16 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,002,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Perhaps you are correct, but:
https://www.cnet.com/news/smart-tv-or-media-streamer/

In my case, I watch any of the free TV shows. All I have is to download the TV channel's app using the Apple TV, and then watch the NBC, CBS, and so on show. I can also control the TV with the remote, or just download a phone app, and control everything from it.

By the way, I don't disagree that Roku may be the best for non Apple users out there. According to this article it may well be the best:
https://www.cnet.com/news/chromecast...hould-you-buy/
For pure streaming it probably is the best, Chromecast is a little easier to use in some ways but Roku supports more content sources (pretty much everything except iTunes actually).

I've found advantages to Google's ecosystem though, including the ability to link seperate accounts together and share content purchases such as movies and apps. Plus I use Google Play Music to store my collection and stream it to my phone while driving. Interestingly the only devices that support Google Play Music are the Chromecast and AndroidTV devices.

The point is a lot of what you use depends on the content you already own.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:16 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
Nice. I can now add a 16GB memory stick to my TV and pause live TV!
YES!
Pause Live TV With Roku's Latest Update | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics