U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 12:20 PM

4,448 posts, read 5,453,733 times

Advertisements

How do you use the "Smart" functions of your smart TV? The browsers function of the TV seems very limited, Netflix 4k use to require the embedded app, but that not longer seems to be the case. Media player for your music and movies, I'm just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 01:03 PM

3,906 posts, read 9,583,311 times
We don't use ours at all. We prefer the Roku interface than the embedded apps on the TV. It's more consistent and easier to navigate and easier access to all the apps, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc..

Old 10-22-2016, 10:32 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,002,515 times
The "smart" in my SmartTV is essentially a Chromecast, and gets used as such. Works quite well frankly, sometimes simpler is better.

Old 10-22-2016, 08:15 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,550,455 times
I bought an upgraded Samsung because of the features I wanted. And HDMI2 is 'arc' for the sound system, HDMI3 for dvd-r/vcr combo, HDMI1 for DISH, TV in for antenna. Because of limited and slow ISP, SMART is not used.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:36 AM

16,726 posts, read 29,333,275 times
The interface of most smart TV is too complicated and clunky. I decided to keep and use the Apple TV I had been using with an older TV. That's what works for me.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:57 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
I've never reaslly seen one that was complicated. TO each his own I think.
But at least with an external device (Roku, Apple TV< Fire Stick) you can pretty cheaply upgrade them later.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:54 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,002,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I've never reaslly seen one that was complicated. TO each his own I think.
But at least with an external device (Roku, Apple TV< Fire Stick) you can pretty cheaply upgrade them later.
I've seen some that were, or at least were a little intimidating for non-technical users. Mostly I agree with keeping the smarts in an external device, but that's why I like the Google Cast setup. The smarts are in the app I cast from, the Google Cast device itself just downloads an app on command and initiates a stream.

Now if I can just find an ARC compatible sound bar...

Old 10-25-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
I've seen some that were, or at least were a little intimidating for non-technical users. Mostly I agree with keeping the smarts in an external device, but that's why I like the Google Cast setup. The smarts are in the app I cast from, the Google Cast device itself just downloads an app on command and initiates a stream.

Now if I can just find an ARC compatible sound bar...
That's why I like having all 3. Smart TV, Roku, Google Cast.
#Nerd

Old 10-28-2016, 09:45 PM

16,726 posts, read 29,333,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
That's why I like having all 3. Smart TV, Roku, Google Cast.
#Nerd
I prefer one external smart device like the Apple TV, Roku, and Google Cast. This component connected to a dumb TV, plus a dumb BlueRay player.

As it is now, I have a smart TV and a smart Samsung BlueRay player. I didn't realize that the brand new BlueRay player didn't have a light to show the unit was turned on.

It's smart, all right, with the option to connect directly to your network, but no LED power indicator. What I don't like about the Samsung smart TV is that it does not give you a lot of options other than what is included in its firmware. Instead, I would prefer to have an external devise controlling the network activity. In my case, the Apple TV because it provides me with an extensive list of options not available on the smart TV.

That said, some differences between "streamers" and smart TVs should be noted by the OP:
https://www.cnet.com/news/smart-tv-or-media-streamer/

Last edited by RayinAK; 10-28-2016 at 10:06 PM..

Old 10-29-2016, 02:37 PM

Well my "Smart TV" is a Roku TV so ... it's really just one unit with a CC hanging off of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics