U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 250 times

Advertisements

Go to antennaweb.org to see if a same programming is being transmitted from different towers with different call letters. [different company] In the Tampa area, there are duplicate programs on different channels owned by different companies.
If a channel owner thinks or knows they will have future use of one of their sub channels, sometimes they send a signal but only maybe a test bar screen. The channel showing the same program on their two channels is because going through the process with the FCC to get on the air takes forever. They may have other programming on the -2 channel sometime soon. Just hope that the sub channels keep the aspect ratio at 4:3 so you can use the picture size 'zoom' function to fill the screen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 08:47 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
2,366 posts, read 964,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Just bought a Samsung 55" smart TV this week, and noticed that it does not incorporate a manual feature to scan through the channels and save just the ones that I want, specifically just the ones that send a viewable broadcast signal, and so on. For example, in some places around the US, the stations haven't completed added all the digital channels. In the place I live we have the following channels:

a. 4.1, and 4.2, both which broadcast the same signal or content (same show at the same time)

b. PBS = 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.4, 9.5, 9.6, and 9.6. In this case the shows broadcasted are different from each other in the channels 9.1 though 9.4. No shows are broadcasted in channels 9.5 though 9.6.

c. 7.1 and 7.2. 7.1 is FOX, but for some reason 7.2 is broadcasting the shows in channel 11.1

d. Channel 11.1 and 11.2 (11.2 broadcasts the FOX shows, or channel 7.2)

e. Channel 13.1 and 13.2 (same problem as above on channel 13.2)

f. Channel 2.1, and 2.2 are fine (different broadcasts each)

It all translates to the following: the automatic channel scan of the TV will scan and add all the channels above, regardless. I can delete the channels I don't want from the list of channels, which in turn leaves the ones I want to watch. However, if I go from channel to channel by pressing the channel button in the remote (UP/DOWN), the remote does not skip the channels I have deleted.

On a dumb TV all you have to do is to manually delete the channels you don't want. To add channels you have two options, and that's an automatic scan to add all the channels, or to manually add or delete the channels you want or don't want. On the Samsung "smart" TV you can only do automatic scans to add all the channels, and to manually add other channels.

Maybe there is a way to take care of this problem, but I have looked long and hard without success. The instructions I have found online do not work unless the TV channels are fully implemented.

" It all translates to the following:
the automatic channel scan of the TV
will scan and add all the channels above,
regardless. I can delete the channels I
don't want from the list of channels,
which in turn leaves the ones I want to
watch. However, if I go from channel to
channel by pressing the channel button
in the remote (UP/DOWN), the remote
does not skip the channels I have deleted.
"

That's weird! I did the same thing under Broadcast > Edit Channel, and channel up/down on my remote bypasses those deleted ones. My Sammy is 3 years old, so I don't know if they dumbed down since.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:12 PM

16,726 posts, read 29,333,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
" It all translates to the following:
the automatic channel scan of the TV
will scan and add all the channels above,
regardless. I can delete the channels I
don't want from the list of channels,
which in turn leaves the ones I want to
watch. However, if I go from channel to
channel by pressing the channel button
in the remote (UP/DOWN), the remote
does not skip the channels I have deleted.
"

That's weird! I did the same thing under Broadcast > Edit Channel, and channel up/down on my remote bypasses those deleted ones. My Sammy is 3 years old, so I don't know if they dumbed down since.
I tried everything with the "smart remote" that came with the TV, and it didn't work.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:23 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
2,366 posts, read 964,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I tried everything with the "smart remote" that came with the TV, and it didn't work.
I would contact Samsung directly with this issue. If you still have the owners manual(sounds like you bought your set more recently than I did), there should be a support phone number on it.

Common sense would suggest that if you edited your channel list, as I have, deleting duplicates or stations I don't watch, then the channel Up-Down surf method should include only the remaining channels, not the deleted ones.

Last edited by TheGrandK-Man; 10-30-2017 at 07:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or