U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 10:50 PM

16,724 posts, read 29,321,260 times

Advertisements

Just bought a Samsung 55" smart TV this week, and noticed that it does not incorporate a manual feature to scan through the channels and save just the ones that I want, specifically just the ones that send a viewable broadcast signal, and so on. For example, in some places around the US, the stations haven't completed added all the digital channels. In the place I live we have the following channels:

a. 4.1, and 4.2, both which broadcast the same signal or content (same show at the same time)

b. PBS = 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.4, 9.5, 9.6, and 9.6. In this case the shows broadcasted are different from each other in the channels 9.1 though 9.4. No shows are broadcasted in channels 9.5 though 9.6.

c. 7.1 and 7.2. 7.1 is FOX, but for some reason 7.2 is broadcasting the shows in channel 11.1

d. Channel 11.1 and 11.2 (11.2 broadcasts the FOX shows, or channel 7.2)

e. Channel 13.1 and 13.2 (same problem as above on channel 13.2)

f. Channel 2.1, and 2.2 are fine (different broadcasts each)

It all translates to the following: the automatic channel scan of the TV will scan and add all the channels above, regardless. I can delete the channels I don't want from the list of channels, which in turn leaves the ones I want to watch. However, if I go from channel to channel by pressing the channel button in the remote (UP/DOWN), the remote does not skip the channels I have deleted.

On a dumb TV all you have to do is to manually delete the channels you don't want. To add channels you have two options, and that's an automatic scan to add all the channels, or to manually add or delete the channels you want or don't want. On the Samsung "smart" TV you can only do automatic scans to add all the channels, and to manually add other channels.

Maybe there is a way to take care of this problem, but I have looked long and hard without success. The instructions I have found online do not work unless the TV channels are fully implemented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 12:19 PM

18,543 posts, read 55,469,830 times
I would suggest finding an advanced universal remote that could program out those channels. I'm not a fan of Samsung for a number of reasons, but by going outside their interface that may be something you can fix.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:40 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,545,480 times
Go to antennaweb.org to see if a same programming is being transmitted from different towers with different call letters. [different company] In the Tampa area, there are duplicate programs on different channels owned by different companies.
If a channel owner thinks or knows they will have future use of one of their sub channels, sometimes they send a signal but only maybe a test bar screen. The channel showing the same program on their two channels is because going through the process with the FCC to get on the air takes forever. They may have other programming on the -2 channel sometime soon. Just hope that the sub channels keep the aspect ratio at 4:3 so you can use the picture size 'zoom' function to fill the screen.
I have a newer Samsung. It does automatic scan. If there is a signal from the transmitting tower, it will show in the program guide. There is a way to delete channels you don't want. On the remote, you might have a small e-manual bottom. If not, use menu for manual. Look for instructions- delete channel
Here are some stations you may see in the future on the duplicate and blank channels - MEtv, antennatv, Justice, Movies, Buzzr, Heros and Icons, Laff, Grit, This, Cozi, Decades, Bounce, Get, Escape

Old 10-31-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Go to antennaweb.org to see if a same programming is being transmitted from different towers with different call letters. [different company] In the Tampa area, there are duplicate programs on different channels owned by different companies.
If a channel owner thinks or knows they will have future use of one of their sub channels, sometimes they send a signal but only maybe a test bar screen. The channel showing the same program on their two channels is because going through the process with the FCC to get on the air takes forever. They may have other programming on the -2 channel sometime soon. Just hope that the sub channels keep the aspect ratio at 4:3 so you can use the picture size 'zoom' function to fill the screen.
I have a newer Samsung. It does automatic scan. If there is a signal from the transmitting tower, it will show in the program guide. There is a way to delete channels you don't want. On the remote, you might have a small e-manual bottom. If not, use menu for manual. Look for instructions- delete channel
Here are some stations you may see in the future on the duplicate and blank channels - MEtv, antennatv, Justice, Movies, Buzzr, Heros and Icons, Laff, Grit, This, Cozi, Decades, Bounce, Get, Escape
The new Samsung TV does not have a way to completely remove the channels that are in the process of being added to the list of digital channels. You can delete them from the list of saved channels, and switch from channel to channel from that list. But to switch from channel to channel on that list requires that you first press the Home button, then move UP one spot using the arrow button, and then a couple of spots to the right to the list of saved channels.

However, if you use that Channels button at the right side of the remote, then you only need one step to move from channel to channel, and that's where the problem is with the TV, because the channels that you just have deleted on the other list of channels (in the saved channels), aren't deleted at all. In other words, if you use the fastest way to move from channel to channel on the remote, it still takes you through the previous deleted channels.

I believe that harry chickpea made a good point in that I may have to try an universal remote, but i am waiting for Samsung to respond to the problem first.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:18 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,313,154 times
A Tivo roamio might help you. I can delete individual sub channels and when I surf, they don't appear. It's around 100 dollars with 15 a month for the programming guide, but since I cut out cable and satellite, that plus Netflix for the kids and wife is still a lot cheaper.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:38 PM

^^^^
I'm guessing that your TV has auto scan. So if you were able to delete a channel, the TV would automatically add the channel again if it is receiving the signal.
I get all my channels from towers that are 40 miles north, but because of 'signal bounce' from towers 55 miles south, the signals hit the north towers and the channels are listed. According to weather conditions, if the program guide shows program info, there is a signal. If there is no signal, the program guide says 'no info' and I get a black screen with 'no signal' pop up.
If I took the time to delete the south channels, they would eventually reappear anyway. And I have 6 Spanish and 4 church channels that I never watch

Old 11-05-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
^^^^
I'm guessing that your TV has auto scan. So if you were able to delete a channel, the TV would automatically add the channel again if it is receiving the signal.
I get all my channels from towers that are 40 miles north, but because of 'signal bounce' from towers 55 miles south, the signals hit the north towers and the channels are listed. According to weather conditions, if the program guide shows program info, there is a signal. If there is no signal, the program guide says 'no info' and I get a black screen with 'no signal' pop up.
If I took the time to delete the south channels, they would eventually reappear anyway. And I have 6 Spanish and 4 church channels that I never watch
You are correct. The "smart TV" scans the channels automatically, and does not have an option to manually and completely remove the unwanted channels. One can only remove the unwanted channels from the "Saved" list of channels, but using the remote to view the saved channels requires for one to move UP using the remote's arrow button, and then right to the list of channels.

On the same remote there is a Channel button at the right side that one can use to quickly move from channel to channel by moving the button UP or DOWN, and while the unwanted channels have already been removed from the Saved channels, they are still in this quick channel selection. The dumb TV I had before (Sony LCD), had the automatic channel scan/save mode, plus a manual mode that could be used later to completely remove the unwanted channels from the TV's automatic scan's memory.

As it is now that the networks are switching from analog to digital, some of the channels only transmit an audio signal at a still photo (landscape, for example), or just a weather forecast, and so on. Some of the channels are completely blank or just sounding static noise.

Old 11-05-2016, 07:46 PM

^^^^
You have analog broadcasters in your area? 99% went digital in 2009 and were re-assigned new RF#'s
Channels 2-6 are no longer used and antennas with the really long elements are no longer needed. TV's still show those channels so people would not get confused. Channel 7-13 owners were given the option to keep their RF# or get a new RF#[14-69] but still have the TV show their old # of 7-13. TV stations were given the option to have their main station as 720 or 1080 HD 16:9 and up to 5 additional channels of 480 SD 4:3

Last edited by d4g4m; 11-05-2016 at 08:00 PM..

Old 11-05-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
^^^^
You have analog broadcasters in your area? 99% went digital in 2009 and were re-assigned new RF#'s
Channels 2-6 are no longer used and antennas with the really long elements are no longer needed. TV's still show those channels so people would not get confused. Channel 7-13 owners were given the option to keep their RF# or get a new RF#[14-69] but still have the TV show their old # of 7-13. TV stations were given the option to have their main station as 720 or 1080 HD 16:9 and up to 5 additional channels of 480 SD 4:3
Perhaps not analog, but the digital integration is still taking place. After a while longer the list of free over-the air digital channels will be shorter. Right now we have the following:

1. PBS = 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.4, 9.5, 9.6, and 9.7
Out of those 9.5 broadcasts voice (music usually), and a still image. 9.6 is just voice, and 9.7 voice and a dark screen

2. Christian broadcast channel = 4.1, and 4.2 (both are broadcasting the same signal, and at the same time)

3. FOX movies and other shows (not the news) = 7.1, but there is a 7.2, and this one is channel 13's broadcasts

4. Channel 11.1, and 11.2. Of these two, 11.2 channel has the same broadcasts as channel 13.2, I believe

5. Channel 13.1, and 13.2. Of these two, 13.1 is good, but 13.2 is broadcasting on channel 7.2, I believe

6. Channels 2.1 and 2.2 are both good (different broadcasts)

What is happening is that some of the channels are DT (digital transmission), while others are HD. It will take a few more months for the local networks to work all the kinks out of it. Bu

Old 11-06-2016, 08:45 PM

^^^^
You've got it backwards. All channels are digital, some are HD [the -1 channels]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or