U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2016, 03:57 PM

4 posts, read 2,364 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a decent solution for this requirement: as I work around the house, I would like to be able to listen to Amazon Prime (free!) music. I don't think either of my mobile devices (two iPads, Windows Phone) will access Amazon Prime Music. I do have access via my PC, and I could put together a play list on Amazon Prime Music, have it set up and played on the PC if there was a way to stream it to speakers. But that type of solution, it seems, wants to use Bluetooth speakers (many of those!), which very much limits the range from the PC to the speaker. Any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 03:58 PM

6,235 posts, read 6,121,913 times
Amazon Echo will work for you!

Old 11-08-2016, 01:12 AM

13,343 posts, read 17,786,285 times
Not sure why you can't access Amazon Prime Music from your ipad. Bluetooth has a range of 30-something feet .
Wifi speakers like the Echo (which has other functions besides being a speaker) or Sonos or Bose products will also work.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Not sure why you can't access Amazon Prime Music from your ipad. Bluetooth has a range of 30-something feet .
Wifi speakers like the Echo (which has other functions besides being a speaker) or Sonos or Bose products will also work.
There is an Amazon Music app for iPad, but no Amazon Prime Music app --- Apple wants you to use their music service(s).

Bluetooth range is good for transferring music from a mobile device to a Bluetooth speaker. But not good enough in my house for using the PC in the office as the Bluetooth anchor. Can't Bluetooth back to the PC from 2nd Floor or Basement.

I think this may be the excuse I need to try the Echo.

Old 11-08-2016, 08:25 AM

11,853 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Say what you want about Apple but they aren't going to block other companies from putting their apps in the store. That Amazon Music app on iPad/iPhone is what you want. It may not specifically be called PRIME MUSIC but if you download it and login with your Prime account, it works.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...82760&pop-up=1

Old 11-08-2016, 11:23 AM

3,991 posts, read 2,627,494 times
On a side note, I just read about this recently. It's called Amazon Music Unlimited for $8 a month for Prime members. Tens of millions of songs, commercial free and you can download the music for use offline. I wonder how they are going to get around the licensing for that? Forget Pandora. I use Muzecast to stream my own music collection but if I didn't have that, I would look into this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/dmusic/pro...MusicUnlimited

Old 11-08-2016, 02:09 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,786,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon10 View Post
There is an Amazon Music app for iPad, but no Amazon Prime Music app --- Apple wants you to use their music service(s).

Bluetooth range is good for transferring music from a mobile device to a Bluetooth speaker. But not good enough in my house for using the PC in the office as the Bluetooth anchor. Can't Bluetooth back to the PC from 2nd Floor or Basement.

I think this may be the excuse I need to try the Echo.
Amazon Music app is the one you want/need.

https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=dm_hfup...ode=2658409011

Old 11-08-2016, 02:21 PM

11,853 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Which is the one also available in Apple's App Store...

Old 11-08-2016, 02:26 PM

OK, Thanks, from the link provided earlier, I find: "If you're an eligible Prime member, the Browse menu in the Amazon Music app features categories designed to help you discover music included with Prime—e.g. recommendations, newly added music, and popular titles. You can also add Prime titles to My Music and your playlists, and download them to your iOS device for offline playback."

I'll spend some time getting to know this part of the app, but in general, (I now recall having looked at it before), it is really a poor adaptation of the Prime Music app that I access on the PC through the Amazon site. On that site, there is no wading through Prime (free) and not free music; you simply browse or SEARCH for specific titles in all Prime Music. One doesn't need to put up with recommendations --- I find "curated" music really a waste of time.

As usual with most of these things, one can usually get what one wants but you need to put in the time to discover all the features and quirks. Thanks to all who responded to my question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or