U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-18-2016, 02:33 PM
 
877 posts, read 588,594 times
Reputation: 344

Advertisements

I recently purchased a Polk Audio PSW Series PSW505 12" and I want to set it to its full potential.
It's connected to a Yamaha RX-V381 AVR. So far I have the volume at 80% low pass at in the middle 90hz phase regular (not reversed).
The bass sound is decent in music and not so great in movies (tested with Netflix). I did notice while watching movie trailers in Youtube it sounds a lot better.

Any suggestions on what's a good settings for the subwoofer and receiver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-19-2016, 10:35 AM
 
2,157 posts, read 2,748,850 times
Reputation: 2782
See if you can find your answers below. Polk subs have it's limitation.

Subwoofer Setup and Calibration for Best Bass | Audioholics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2016, 02:52 PM
 
Location: McAllen, TX
3,991 posts, read 2,627,494 times
Reputation: 4769
Your Yamaha receiver should have come with a YPAO microphone which you can use to calibrate all of your surround speakers. Keep in mind this is only a starting point and it adjusts only levels (from the receiver) based on the placement of the speakers in relation to the microphone, not other things like crossover frequency. Place the microphone close to where you will be sitting to get the best results. You can override the levels on the receiver for each speaker. My Yamaha does not have access to the speaker levels from the remote. It's only available from the front of the receiver.

What device are you using for music and/or movies? There may be additional controls on the source device. I have a media player (Fire TV stick) and a laptop as a home theater. I also bluetooth from my phone to the receiver. My laptop has an EQ as well as bass and treble adjustments and my phone has them also.

It will be necessary to adjust the sound from different devices to your liking. It is almost impossible to get one sound fits all especially when dealing with multiple sources. You can also adjust the levels from the back of the subwoofer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2016, 03:11 PM
 
877 posts, read 588,594 times
Reputation: 344
I did end up using YPAO and it set the frequency at 40hz. What does that mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2016, 04:20 PM
 
Location: McAllen, TX
3,991 posts, read 2,627,494 times
Reputation: 4769
40hz is approaching the inaudible range for bass. By inaudible, I mean a frequency (in this case low) that is more "felt" than heard. If the sub bass is set to 40hz you will need something that fills in the mid bass frequencies, otherwise you are going to have a really low bass going and just mids and highs. How many and what size are the woofers in your other speakers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2016, 04:29 PM
 
877 posts, read 588,594 times
Reputation: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
40hz is approaching the inaudible range for bass. By inaudible, I mean a frequency (in this case low) that is more "felt" than heard. If the sub bass is set to 40hz you will need something that fills in the mid bass frequencies, otherwise you are going to have a really low bass going and just mids and highs. How many and what size are the woofers in your other speakers?
I have two HTD Level 3 bookshelf speakers.
Max. Power Handling: 120 watts
Frequency Response: 47 Hz - 40 kHz
Impedance: 8 ohms
Sensitivity: 88dB
Voice Coil: 1.5"
Shielded Magnet: woofer: 21 + 10 OZ; tweeter: .7 OZ neodymium
Crossover: 3rd order at 2500Hz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2016, 08:37 AM
 
Location: McAllen, TX
3,991 posts, read 2,627,494 times
Reputation: 4769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfertx View Post
I have two HTD Level 3 bookshelf speakers.
Max. Power Handling: 120 watts
Frequency Response: 47 Hz - 40 kHz
Impedance: 8 ohms
Sensitivity: 88dB
Voice Coil: 1.5"
Shielded Magnet: woofer: 21 + 10 OZ; tweeter: .7 OZ neodymium
Crossover: 3rd order at 2500Hz
That explains it why you are not getting the bass you want. Two 6.5 in woofers are not going to be enough to fill in the rest of the bass. Turn up the frequency on the back of your Polk. I think the knob says "Low bass" to the right (or left) till it sounds like you want. You can also adjust the volume. I would leave the volume about half way but it's up to you. Of course you don't want to have to reach behind the unit every time you want make an adjustment so you will have to make other adjustments from the receiver or the source like I mentioned previously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2016, 08:44 AM
 
877 posts, read 588,594 times
Reputation: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
That explains it why you are not getting the bass you want. Two 6.5 in woofers are not going to be enough to fill in the rest of the bass. Turn up the frequency on the back of your Polk. I think the knob says "Low bass" to the right (or left) till it sounds like you want. You can also adjust the volume. I would leave the volume about half way but it's up to you. Of course you don't want to have to reach behind the unit every time you want make an adjustment so you will have to make other adjustments from the receiver or the source like I mentioned previously.
I'll mess with the settings..
One thing that dramatically improved the sound was to make the two bookshelves "small" in the AVR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:14 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top