U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 11:42 AM

196 posts, read 265,010 times

Advertisements

About a year and a half ago I purchased a (cheap) Epson WF-2540 printer. I should have listened to my inner voice because I had issues with Epson in the past (with a very expensive photo printer that they refused to update drivers for). Anyway, this printer is a piece of trash and it isn't all about expensive ink - it's the printer itself, made to have problems printing so you have to use the cleaning program if you do not print something every day! That sucks up ink very quickly. The printer does this every time I don't constantly print - never had a printer like this before.

So I am looking for another printer, and I am asking you all what printer have you had success with, because printer reviews are garbage (the printer reviews for this said it was top of the line when I purchased it - NOW they have changed). This printer has scanner with feeder option, wifi, high resolution printing, Ethernet option, fax (which I don't care about).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 12:23 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,776,401 times
Multi-function printer - help me pick

I need a printer recommendation.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:40 PM

2,640 posts, read 1,958,541 times
I replaced HP with Epson and it works like a charm on my home wifi. Heck I can even send it stuff to print by email from my iPhone at work and it will be printed when I get there.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,858 posts, read 56,252,221 times
We have been happy with the HP Envy 4650, and the ink is reasonable, at $13 B&W, $18 color. It's nice to print from a phone or Ipad when in the kitchen, the couch or garage.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:32 PM

5,374 posts, read 11,281,537 times
Canon MG8220
All in one, two tray loading capability for up to A-4 size paper.
CD/DVD printing capability.
NOT a cheapo one to begin with !

Can use third party (Amazon) ink which makes it rather cheap to own ... in the long run

You buy a cheapo HP from the start, you need bloody expensive ink.
In the end, rather expensive ! Never used any other brands, so no idea about those ...

Old 12-01-2016, 09:43 PM

14,386 posts, read 21,063,143 times
Brother
Color laser

Old 12-01-2016, 10:01 PM

4,169 posts, read 9,410,463 times
I like my HP LaserJet 200 Color MFP.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:26 PM

28,627 posts, read 40,609,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Brother
Color laser
Same here. Demo off the shelf at half price. Checked and it only had 15 pages printed and two of those were us.

Staples btw. Years ago.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:10 PM

16,724 posts, read 29,324,467 times
In recent years I have had several Epson inkjet printers, including two multifunction ones (Epson Workforce 630-series), and all of these had all kinds of clogged-head problems. My family and I hardly used the two Workforce printers for printing and scanning because of the printheads clogging, just the fax feature. It means that the printers are almost new, but going to the trash any time now.

To the OP: I am certain that others in this thread will give you good advise. I am just telling you what did not work for me. I would also like to tell you of a now older inkject printer, a Canon Pixma Pro9000. This printer is only used to print photos, and the inks are expensive (uses 7 cartridges). I can leave this printer turned off for weeks at a time, and it never suffers from clogged heads like a lot of the Epson printers do. But again, this is a photo printer, not just a printer you want to use for printing documents and this like that.

That aside, my advise for you is to follow the recomendations offered by other posters above and choose one of the printers receommended. A few months ago I decided that because of the multiple problems I have had with inkjet clogged heads, the next printer I buy is a multifunction color laser printer. I have been using a laser printer for a couple of years now, and haven't had a single issue with it. The printer is a HP Laser 1102w, but I still need a multifunction printer (scan/fax/print) in addition to this one.

Since my wife uses Apple AirPrint to print documents via Wi-Fi from her iPad and laptop, I will buy one that incorporates AirPrint. HP, Brother, Canon, and so on offer such color laser multifunction printers, and I have been narrowing the choices to one or two before I buy perhaps by or just after Christmas.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:16 PM

6,235 posts, read 6,116,095 times
Brother! They have been consistently reliable and cheap to get ink for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or