U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2016, 04:19 PM

31,251 posts, read 48,366,338 times

Advertisements

My sister lives in rural area north of San Antonio TX on small property with elevation changes, lot of trees, and runs sheep...
She says she wants a drone to help w finding sheep if they stray or,just using to check,out conditions on the property...

I have no knowledge of good from bad drones...
Know they are a hot item with lot of models on market...
Don't know if it is possible to get one for what she wants w/o spending over 200$

She said not to,spend a lot since she would be learning its use...

What are features that are must haves?
Like return to home doesn't work on some models if drone is more than 6 ft from control...
That is not lot of distance...

What about cold weather use? Like in the 30s?
How much does that hamper battery strength?

Any suggestions for drones or website sites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 05:52 PM

12,446 posts, read 11,249,207 times
You'll need to specify...
Target cost
Total weight
Type of video (recorded, first-person, resolution)
Transmitter required or provided
Range of operation
Payload
Flight time
Self-landing capability
Repair parts availability

I've been flying R/C helicopters for years (before the concept of "drones"), so I have encountered all of these factors in my purchasing decisions.

BTW - cold weather does negatively impact the performance of lithium polymer batteries.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:55 PM

31,251 posts, read 48,366,338 times
She will be using it outside and maybe in wet/drizzly conditions.
It should be fairly sturdy with parts/design so she can make repairs
Weight...that effects battery life but also influences stability/durability so it is a variable factor
I don't think she is looking for something she can carry in her pocket

A return home feature that works from as far as possible vs something like 6 ft good feature
I think she will need first person view vs replay from card -- if she wants to track something she needs to see it in real time but probably would want a card to capture what she saw
Maybe 100-200m range and good battery--I can get her spares to keep charged
Self landing seems good idea especially if it sets down at distance

She said don't spend much because she would be learning and likely to crash or fly it into stuff or lose it
but something too small seems likely to be blown around by the winds or too easy to lose if she is using it in open area w/brush n trees.

I don't know if that describes a $1100 model or something more reasonable
since neither of us knows what makes a good quality unit
Under 50 would be her call because she isn't self-indulgent but if 100 would be more in line w/quality and features then I can afford it

Appreciate your help

Old 12-07-2016, 02:02 PM

12,446 posts, read 11,249,207 times
I don't have any experience with drones in the $50 - $100 range, so I don't have any recommendations.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:31 PM

11,853 posts, read 13,978,818 times
You're not going to find something like that in that price range. You need to spend some serious money.

https://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-S...s=parrot+drone

That's $500 and has a range of .5 miles. The big advantage to spending more is they are infinitely easier to fly. For $1,000 you can plot out a course on a map and it will recon it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics