U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 01:20 PM

4,781 posts, read 1,964,057 times

Advertisements

Wanted to share a cool web page. www.treasurenet.com
Anyone have a Metal Detector and want to share some of your best finds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2006, 01:23 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,516,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBNN View Post
Wanted to share a cool web page. www.treasurenet.com
Anyone have a Metal Detector and want to share some of your best finds?
lol@ me thinking the title was "Mental Detector" the first 29475305612802 times I looked at it.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:27 AM

26,158 posts, read 15,744,726 times
Nice looking site but it loads slowly for me...... I had a metal destector years ago but I didnt ever find anything too spectacular.....

What are the ranges for these things detecting stuff under the dirt? -- I mean is there any that detect up to 1 mile down?? (I reckon not (Not a consumer one anyway))

Old 03-30-2016, 10:13 PM

16,724 posts, read 29,321,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Nice looking site but it loads slowly for me...... I had a metal destector years ago but I didnt ever find anything too spectacular.....

What are the ranges for these things detecting stuff under the dirt? -- I mean is there any that detect up to 1 mile down?? (I reckon not (Not a consumer one anyway))
There are all kinds of metal detectors, and some of the most expensive ones are used for detecting gold. Depending on the size of the target, for example a penny, a lot of detectors can reach down to 8 inches or more. All depends on the detector and the person's knowledge with it. If the target is a lot larger, then the detector can stretch the distance quite a lot.

Most of the targets found around parks and beaches usually are located from very close to the surface down to perhaps 8 inches. I have found silver dimes down to perhaps 8", and quarters a little deeper. If the ground is moist, that helps the detector work deeper that if dry.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:25 AM

26,158 posts, read 15,744,726 times
Wow 8 inches isnt bad!!!!!! (And I was thinking they sense up to a mile!!)

Wow,I was waaaaaay off!!!

Old 03-31-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Wow 8 inches isnt bad!!!!!! (And I was thinking they sense up to a mile!!)

Wow,I was waaaaaay off!!!
Yes, you were. Maybe you were thinking about a radar detector?

Old 03-31-2016, 08:04 PM

1,911 posts, read 2,370,718 times
I purchased a metal detector and spent a few weeks "metal detecting". When I stopped I had found about $5 worth of coins, nothing more. If I had more time I would be out around the state doing more.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
I purchased a metal detector and spent a few weeks "metal detecting". When I stopped I had found about $5 worth of coins, nothing more. If I had more time I would be out around the state doing more.
It takes a lot of practice to learn the most out of whichever detector you buy. But the folks at metal detecting forums posted by the OP provide a wealth of very useful information on every detector out there. I still have a couple of older Minelab detectors, and learned the most at that forum above. Don't have much time left to detect these days, however.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:22 PM

9,966 posts, read 7,576,425 times
I did it in the early 80's. We'd hit old sites like old High Schools that were built in the 20's.. Found quite a bit. Several class rings, lots of old change. I think we wound up finding 20 or 30 of the old '43 steel pennies.

When my dad was transferred to Hawaii.. We'd go out on a beach most every day.. He'd use the underwater detector, I'd use the land one.. He found FAR more than I did.. I think he wound up with 60-70 rings in the 2 years he was out there. Just doing it an hour or two each day. The only real one that I remember was that he found a McDonalds ring. Had the McDonalds logo and a diamond in the corner.. We figured it was an executive or long time franchisee or something that lost it.

I found.. 3 in the summer I was out there I think and only one was gold. I wound up with alot more change and ketchup packets and condom packets. I actually found 5 or 6 more, but, those were people running over to me asking me to help them find the ring they just lost in the sand.. Found all of them and handed them back over.

the problem is.. In the 80's.. You could get away with it.. My dad and I were politely asked to not look in one place on Ft Belvoir in Virginia by the MPs because it used to be a firing range. But, in today's world, at least off a military base, the cops would be showing up charging you with trespassing, the bomb squad would be coming out thinking the detector was a dirty bomb or something.. And most places have been either hunted out, or developed. If you're near the beach.. Still worthwhile.. Outside of that.. Not so much. You don't even find pull tabs anymore. And in the 70's/80's.. They were all over the place.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:31 AM

473 posts, read 211,050 times
Anybody detecting in North Arkansas or clubs? Whites V3i and Garrett AT Pro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics