Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2016, 10:16 AM

782 posts, read 1,355,974 times

Advertisements

I live in a single family home in a suburban town which is relatively safe but I'm concerned about home break-ins when not there.
I currently have Protection-1 but have not been happy with them lately so am looking at alternatives which are very dependable but less expensive and no contract.

Anyone have experience with SimpliSafe ?
I'm thinking of buying their product and like the fact that it's not hard wired, is relatively inexpensive monthly fee with no contract and you can take the system with you if you move.

I am open to other products that anyone can recommend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 02:08 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,472,223 times
I've seen (and heard) of them advertised.

When I bought a house in 2012, I looked into a DIY security system and decided on Frontpoint. I highly recommend them. You have to buy the system. I think it was around $300 depending. You call and tell them, I have 3 doors, two windows, 2 motion etc. They also do cameras, fire alarms and thermostats. They pre-configure the system for you. All you do is stick the sensors on the doors, walls and windows. It's totally wireless. The sensors communicate with the panel wirelessly and the monitoring is totally wireless. The monitoring plan I have is a little pricey at about $42 a month but you can arm/disarm from your phone or PC and it has tons of other features. Also the monthly fee includes the wireless connection (phone line) so if you consider that, it's reasonable.

https://www.frontpointsecurity.com/

As for Simplisafe, I think they sell a comparable system and if the monitoring is less I would definitely be interested. You need to compare apples to apples. They do advertise the monthly fee at around $25 but I don't know what it includes.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:51 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,502,500 times
Never used a home security system, and doubt that they even protect much.

Any readers have personal success stories? That is, where the system prevented a break in or a fire?

Certainly outside sirens are useless, and illegal in many places, because they're ignored. In the 5-10 minutes for a response, police or person, seems to me that an intelligent perp is long gone. No?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics