U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 02:35 PM

383 posts, read 537,773 times

Advertisements

Before when I tried doing this, I didn't know what the heck I was doing wrong - tuens out it's the way I was doing it. Apparently twisting BOTH sets of wires together doesn't work....lol Anyway, just wanted to share a small success, I'm happy with it and it sounds great.

Oh, and underneath that wrapping I wrapped both wires individually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 05:23 PM

2,909 posts, read 1,709,430 times
twisting both sets of wires together is a short and a good way to damage your source.

If you just wrapped the wires together, don't be surprised if the splice stops working down the road. Much better to use a crimp connector. The tool and connectors can be bought at most hardware stores. Personally, I solder, but that calls for some experience and a soldering iron.

All in all, you' ve made a good first step though, and were smart wrapping each wire separately. Again, avoids shorts.

If you ever work with stereo speakers, be aware of speaker phasing. Not tricky, but important. You can look it up if the issue ever arises.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:36 PM

4,169 posts, read 9,416,868 times
Try this next time. This is what I have the middle school kids use as reference in their build.

http://www.marinetech.org/files/mari...0Worksheet.pdf

Old 12-13-2016, 05:25 PM

71 posts, read 64,193 times
Spend three bucks and get a butt splice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdBcPJ7Dtaw

Old 01-10-2017, 08:35 AM

4,378 posts, read 4,065,066 times
I feel like I'm looking at my sons first identifiable drawing...I guess you gotta start somewhere. lol. Good thing you wrapped them idividually, you'd have had your previous result if not. Make sure the wires are twisted up good, and invest in electrical tape, better insulator than duct tape. Better yet you could use a glue gun on them...or crimps with shrinkwrap. Speakers aren't that difficult to fool with, but I was preparing to completely rewire my scooter before it was totaled with halogen projectors, relay mods, circuit breakers, 24 pole stator, blah, blah, blah...

Old 01-11-2017, 03:23 PM

4,636 posts, read 5,507,516 times
When splicing multiple wires, you can try 'staggering' them.

[http://insideevs.com/wp-content/uplo...15/12/152.jpg]

First slide on the pieces of heat shrink [the small ones for each splice and one larger one for the whole thing.] Keep them away from the actual splice while you do your soldering, or they'll shrink before you're done.

A soldering iron is best of course, but when we were up a ladder or in a big hurry, we used a BIC lighter. The trick is to strip off a little more insulation than usual, then twist the strands together but leave a little on the end fanned out to accept your flame.

This transfers the heat much more efficiently/quickly down to your splice and also this way you don't mess up the splicing area with soot.

Then trim your soldered splices down with your cutters, push them down and slide the HS over the splices. Then, with your trusty BIC, you can shrink the tubing too, or buy an expensive heatgun. Any HS besides black will look really dirty from the soot, ruining your beautiful workman-like job.

But to be clear, an iron is usually the way to go, if you're not really lazy like we always were.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:31 PM

18,592 posts, read 55,510,434 times
"I'm happy with it and it sounds great." Very good. That is the best end result.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:46 PM

40,302 posts, read 41,850,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
When splicing multiple wires, you can try 'staggering' them.
.... I feel stupid now when I think of all those big pregnant looking splices I've created over the years. That said many were twisted head on and then soldered so they aren't huge.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:42 AM

2,909 posts, read 1,709,430 times
Perfection is the enemy of the good.....Personally, I like the snake after a meal look.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:22 AM

4,636 posts, read 5,507,516 times
Me [or someone[ working behind my home theater rack..

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics