U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which 55" class TV should I get?
Sony XBR-55X930D for $1,500 9 69.23%
LG LG-OLED55E6P for $2,800 4 30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 11:40 PM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Most people can't use the built in tuners now that all the cable channels are scambled, and even people who want OTA channels like a DVR.
Exactly. On my old Panasonic it drove me nuts I couldn't remove ANTENNA from the inputs...because I didn't use it. Not once.

Quote:
Do you use a Tablo Tuner or do you recommend something else (or don't you watch OTA television)?
I actually didn't buy the Vizio. I researched the hell out of it from the day it was announced (5 HDMI!). No major brand gives you more HDMI then Vizio. Everyone raved about it. They still do. Seriously FIND a bad review of it. You can't. I signed up for the mailing list on Vizio.com ready to redeem my 5% off. The one I wanted was $999 at the time (55).
And I got a TCL Roku TV for $550 instead.Why? Deciding factor was that I was planning to cut the cord. And I got a 4K TV for $550 with a tuner. and a promise from Roku for a feature that was coming. And this feature came out, finally, last month. I plugged a USB Memory stick into my TCL and I can now pause, rewind and fast forward live OTA broadcast TV. I can PAUSE live broadcast TV. It's awesome.

Quote:
The built in sound system in TV's is usually awful, so it makes sense to simply leave it out.
I disagree. The TCL is good. I've heard many that are good. My cheapo Westinghouse bedroom (hardly used) TV is horrible but I paid nothing for that.
My Panasonic still to this day sounds great. Not awesome, not much bass...but pretty great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 12:02 AM

40,083 posts, read 48,999,814 times
I wouldn't give a nickel for a Vizio, most people I know that have them are not happy with them. There's been a lot of complaints, here's one review site.
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/home...ics/vizio.html

OLEG's are suppose to have superior picture quality and retention just like the discontinued Plasmas.

Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, LG make the best TV"s today.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:26 AM

10,169 posts, read 10,499,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
OLEG's are suppose to have superior picture quality and retention just like the discontinued Plasmas.
OLED, or Organic Light Emitting Diodes

Google's Pixel is the company's first smartphone. The high-end device features an FHD 5" AMOLED display. But the acronym will become universally known when the next iPhone is released as it will have an OLED screen.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:37 AM

11,155 posts, read 14,434,066 times
Does Panasonic even make TVs anymore?? I can't seem to find them on any site, such as Crutchfield, etc.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:36 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
No, they do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I wouldn't give a nickel for a Vizio, most people I know that have them are not happy with them. There's been a lot of complaints, here's one review site.
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/home...ics/vizio.html
I stand by Vizio. "Most people you know"? How many people do you know with Vizio's?
We have 3 Vizio's at our office. one has been in continuous operation 5 days a week for 10 YEARS. Still looks perfect.
O look at your same site:
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/home...s/sony_tv.html
Bad Sony reviews.
People complain at a rate of 50-1 compared to how often they compliment. You know this.

I actually WASN'T a Vizio fan for YEARS. But the last 2 or 3 years, they have been making some fantastic TV's that are every bit as good as the "big boys". That latrest one I linked to being the best they've ever made. Seriously, read a professional review about it. And try to find a bad one. You cannot.

Having said that, they did just get acquired by LeEco so who knows if they are going to get better or worse. So this latest gen is the only one I recommend until we find out more about this...

Old 12-16-2016, 03:14 PM

I think I have made my decision. I am going to go with the Sony LCD instead of the LG OLED for the following reasons:

1. I have owned 3 Sony TV's over the past 17 years and have always been happy with them, so going to a different brand is sort of a risk for me. I just can't do it, when it comes to televisions. So might as well continue buying from the brand that has never let me down when it comes to TV's.

2. When I compared both TV's in the store, in the end, I concluded that the Sony was slightly more impressive than the LG, although not by much. I just thought it had better clarity, better brightness and color. And I honestly thought the contrast and black levels were on par with the OLED, as well as the motion blur (or lack of).

Honestly, I'm surprised that so many professionals and critics are saying that OLED is a whole league above LCD. If you ask me, today's high end LED-LCD's are on par with an OLED, and actually beat OLED in terms of brightness, clarity and color gradience and vibrance. The OLED was indeed very impressive, but the colors and brightness just ain't as good IMO.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:04 PM

But then again....the LG has Dolby Vision and the Sony does not.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:37 AM

UPDATE: I have decided to get the LG OLED55E6P. The price has been cut down to $2,500! After further research, I have concluded that this TV simply has everything I want. It has 4K, 3D, HDR10, Dolby Vision and it's also Ultra HD Premium certified! This TV also has excellent reviews both from consumers and professionals! I'm getting it on New Years!

Old 12-22-2016, 11:32 AM

918 posts, read 698,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
UPDATE: I have decided to get the LG OLED55E6P. The price has been cut down to $2,500! After further research, I have concluded that this TV simply has everything I want. It has 4K, 3D, HDR10, Dolby Vision and it's also Ultra HD Premium certified! This TV also has excellent reviews both from consumers and professionals! I'm getting it on New Years!
Good choice...LG OLED is the best TV in the world

Old 12-22-2016, 05:26 PM

7,293 posts, read 6,680,562 times
Congratulations on your purchase. Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics