U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 09:41 PM

4,169 posts, read 9,415,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
These are only available only "used" far as I can tell. One is a 400 disc mega changer at $2000, the only ones they still make. But you've confirmed what I already have seen (via google and Amazon search). They apparently no longer make 5 or 6 disc DVD players.

DVD's are history, huh? Not at my house. And I know many people who use DVD's but not in the manner in which I do. I have the equivalent of probably three whole TV seasons worth of shows (entire collections, start to finish) and odds & ends including BBC stuff and a few movies that I watch and I even re-run them after a year or two. Just stuff I want to watch, when I want to watch them. I haven't watched 5 minutes of contemporary TV in over 10 years, or gone to a show in 30 years. It's such garbage.

I'm going to look over the used stock, but if I find nothing trusty looking, I may just buy a couple more single disc players and pigtail them to the TV - run one of the three at a time to the same AV input. Should give at least 1:30 of viewing before possibly needing to change to something else - if it works.

Thank you all for your expedient response to my question.

That's the point you don't get. DVD may still exist in the redbox rental but people don't buy them anymore. You may have a big collection of DVD but people don't collect them anymore, hence why changer are not being made anymore. About 10 years ago, I converted all my DVD into hard drives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 06:05 AM

40,291 posts, read 41,843,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Why on earth did they discontinue making these? Is there a new alternative method for being able to watch multiple DVD's without having to get up and change the disc each time just to view another one?

There is software available to rip the disc to file, with smart TV and networked connected device storing the video you can select from entire library.

The software for ripping these discs is illegal to sell in the US and technically illegal for you to posses. That said no one has ever been prosecuted for making copies of discs they own. The only concern I would have is paying for it, the sites that sell this software while used by many people without issue are all located overseas. It's a murky situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or