U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 04:19 PM

4,266 posts, read 8,020,951 times

Advertisements

My 3 year old 32'' bedroom TV just died. I need a 40' replacement with a headphone output and on timer. A TV with a terrific upscaler would be great to have too, as I still watch DVDs and 720P OTA stuff. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 04:24 PM

2,313 posts, read 1,581,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
My 3 year old 32'' bedroom TV just died. I need a 40' replacement with a headphone output and on timer. A TV with a terrific upscaler would be great to have too, as I still watch DVDs and 720P OTA stuff. Thanks.

How are you going to fit a 40 foot tv set in your house? That's drive-in movie size! lol

Old 12-23-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
How are you going to fit a 40 foot tv set in your house? That's drive-in movie size! lol
Good one! At least I got the 32'' right.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:36 AM

5,374 posts, read 11,285,294 times
Almost any *new/modern* TV does have a timer in its basic set-up menu.
Almost all TV units have an external sound out receptacle.
All TV units still will be able to get OTA channels.

For a Headphone set-up, I suggest a remote type of headphone set-up.
Like the Philips/Magnavox unit or any other one that has a cordless headphone.

For the TV itself, it becomes a personal preference.
The best thing is to watch a few of them side by side, same programme.
Find the one that you like and then go from there !

Since it is in your bedroom, I also suggest mounting it as high as possible on the opposite wall of your bed, so you can comfortably look at it, laying down !

If you still watch *old* DVD movies, the best thing is to get a separate DVD player that is a *smart one*. This way you can *save* a few coins in getting a Not Smart TV ... ?

Old 12-25-2016, 11:26 AM

I just bought the Sony KDL40R510C for $298. Sony has a reputation of putting good upscalers in their TVs. It has a wake timer which I will use as an alarm clock. The headphone output (this feature is now rare these days. LG and Samsung models don't have a headphone output anymore) will me let enjoy late-night shows without disturbing others.

Old 12-25-2016, 06:43 PM

5,374 posts, read 11,285,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
The headphone output (this feature is now rare these days. LG and Samsung models don't have a headphone output anymore) will me let enjoy late-night shows without disturbing others.
Interesting, since we do have 4 of the 27 inch Samsung (used as computer monitors), a 32 inch LG (bedroom) and a 40 inch Philips (family room) in the house and all of them have headphone receptacles ...

If it *is* missing, then get this doohicky:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AJ692/

Old 12-26-2016, 08:50 AM

21,550 posts, read 24,690,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Interesting, since we do have 4 of the 27 inch Samsung (used as computer monitors), a 32 inch LG (bedroom) and a 40 inch Philips (family room) in the house and all of them have headphone receptacles ...

This doohicky sends a line level signal and not a powered signal, thus no amplification or volume control capability.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post

I have 2 LGs 32'' and 55'' made in the last 4 years. Both don't have a headphone output. Older TVs, I am sure, have headphone jacks. Based on my checking out TVs at Fry's and Sam's Club last week, models I saw from Vizio, LG, and Samsung didn't have headphone jacks.

I have a device that connects to the optical jack and converts and send the signal to a headphone. There is no volume control. I don't care for that. That's one more device and one more optical cable I have to buy and use because these TV companies decide to cut cost.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:38 PM

2,904 posts, read 1,707,067 times
I saw a lot of tunerless TVs at Costco on my most recent visit, so if OTA reception is important, you gotta check.

No headphone jack? No surprise - the trend is toward wireless headphones anyway, and there are as many ways of doing wireless as there are brands of headphones, or so it seems.

I am not a Best Buy fan, but this may be a case of getting purchasing help from one of their sales people regarding headphones. Just make sure you verify independently.

Old 12-26-2016, 01:09 PM

I have no home internet. I made the mistake of resetting my 55'' LG to the factory settings which requires internet to setup the TV. Without internet the setup just stopped. Now I have a 55'' monitor instead of a smart TV. This TV has a wake timer which is now useless because there is no TV tuner for it to wake to. There is no TV tuner because the setup wasn't completed.

My dead 32'' LG, on the other hand, worked fine without internet. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the Sony I bought and waiting to pickup is like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics