Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2017, 01:33 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,191,196 times

Advertisements

i am looking for a way to watch all of my local channels with my new apple tv 4th gen. pref without paying for cable or using rabbit ears.. does anyone know of any good apps that i can download or do i have to download each one and pay for them seperatly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 01:57 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,153,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_pounder View Post
i am looking for a way to watch all of my local channels with my new apple tv 4th gen. pref without paying for cable or using rabbit ears.. does anyone know of any good apps that i can download or do i have to download each one and pay for them seperatly
You still need an antenna to watch the local free over the air channels, which by the way are digital now. You may want to read this article below first, then come back if you have any more questions. I use an Apple TV with a Samsung smart TV, but have a roof antenna that allows me to watch all the local channels and shows. However, if I miss the national TV shows and movies that are broadcasted in the local channels, I can use the Apple TV to watch these shows later in the day or any other time in the future. I search the Apple TV for the CBS, NBC, PBS, and so on...TV app. Once the channel app in on the Apple TV screen, all you have to do is to select the app you want, and then watch that channel's movie or show you missed. And please keep in mind that once you have the proper antenna (explained in the article below), you can watch the local free-over-the-air channels straight from your TV without using the Apple TV.

The only thing that I would like to have with the Apple TV is just the same remote, but the size of an iPhone 5. However, if you already have an iPhone, iPad, or iPod, you can use any of these to control the Apple TV.

Also, all the movie apps (Netflix, HULU, and so on) are available on the Apple TV screen. If you already are a Netflix, HULU, etc. customer, just select the appropriate app and watch those movies there. Even "youtube.com."

https://appadvice.com/post/cut-the-c...pple-tv/712554

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-02-2017 at 03:20 PM..

Old 01-03-2017, 08:13 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,069,407 times
^^^^
As noted above, you will need an antenna to watch local TV. Unless you're less than 10 miles from the transmission tower, rabbit ears won't cut it. Go to antennaweb.org to see where to point antenna and distance for size of antenna needed.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:29 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
This was just announced at CES -- should be exactly what the OP is looking for: Mohu AirWave bundles your local TV channels into handy app form
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics