Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which 55" class TV should I get?
Sony XBR-55X930D for $1,500 9 69.23%
LG LG-OLED55E6P for $2,800 4 30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 09:36 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times

Advertisements

So, I'm in the market for a new TV, after owning my current Sony 40" 1080p LCD for about 10 years now. I've been a very happy owner of Sony TV's for 17 years and love them, because I have always been pleased with their picture quality, especially in terms of color, contrast and clarity. But for the first time in a long time, I'm also considering other brands. I haven't been drawn to anything by Samsung, Sharp or Vizio. But I have narrowed my options down to two models, namely the Sony XBR-55X930D for $1,500 and the LG-OLED55E6P for $2,800. Both of these sets are 4K HDR with 3D capability. The LG also has support for Dolby Vision, which is a plus. I took the opportunity a few times to go to Best Buy and see both sets in person, so here are my impressions. Both TVs were extremely impressive.

I kept walking back and forth between the LG and the Sony, and in the end I ended up concluding that the Sony LCD was slightly superior in picture quality than the LG OLED. Now, keep in mind, this judgment is based on the store's TV picture settings, video connections and lighting conditions, which I have no control over, really. But the Sony, IMO had black levels that were on par with the LG OLED, as well as better color depth, vibrance and clarity. I thought both of them were excellent with motion blur, but the LG OLED had the slight edge here.

So, I don't know which one to buy. Money is not an issue, although the cheaper the better, of course. Part of my hesitation to switch to LG is because I have been loyal to Sony TV's for so long and have NEVER been disappointed. And all of my other A/V products are Sony, so they all work in harmony together. So I'm scared to switch brands and get an LG TV.

One concern is input lag, since I play video games. Apparently, 1080p gaming is perfectly fine on both sets, but 4K gaming on the Sony, I heard, has high input lag. However, the only game console I would be playing over the next 5+ years is the Nintendo Switch, which likely won't support 4K gaming, but we won't know for sure until Jan 12 when Nintendo has their official Switch presentation.

I'm also concerned about the OLED image retention issues, which could be a concern with games and certain TV programs.

I am the type of person who likes to have support for ALL audio/video standard formats for ALL of my content sources, which include cable TV broadcasts, Wii U games, Switch games and Netflix. Netflix has some content that supports Dolby Vision, and the LG is the only one that can do that. But it's just that I would have to switch brands.

Thoughts?!

Last edited by nep321; 12-15-2016 at 09:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 09:46 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times
LG E6P-Series 55"-Class UHD 3D Smart OLED TV

That LGOLED55E6P OLED tv has a lot of different prices posted, some as much as $1000 lower than the price you are quoting.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:59 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
I wouldn't get either, I'd get the samsung 6000 series in 65 inch.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN65K...rds=samsung+4k

I have a 40 inch version I'm using for a monitor and the 6000 series has a great picture, no reason to spend more.

Input lag is very reasonable for these sets. Not twitch FPS gaming mind you.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:02 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
LG E6P-Series 55"-Class UHD 3D Smart OLED TV

That LGOLED55E6P OLED tv has a lot of different prices posted, some as much as $1000 lower than the price you are quoting.
LOL at the $80 and $150 HDMI cables listed on that website as accessories. Get them on amazon for $8 and $15. The wall mounts are really expensive, too.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:29 PM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I hate when someone asks specifically "I want to get either A or B" and someone pops in and says "I'd get C!"
Man that drives me nuts.

Especially because....
for that budget, I'd get the "Vizio P-Series 55".
https://www.vizio.com/tvs/pseries/p55c1.html
Direct from Vizio, no tax, free shipping: $1,299
As long as you don't need a TV tuner.
  • One of, if not the best, IPS display in the industry
  • 8 Core processor running it
  • Google Cast built in
  • HDR + Dolby Vision
  • Industry leading 126 Active LED zones
  • Android Tablet Remote
  • 5, count 'em 5 HDMI ports

Read ANY review on this TV. You will not find a bad one.

Order direct from Vizio. Free Shipping, probably no tax.
Give them your email address to join the mailing list, they take 5% off your first order.
(That's about $70 off)
Promptly unsubscribe from said email distribution list...

Old 12-15-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN65K...rds=samsung+4k

I have a 40 inch version I'm using for a monitor and the 6000 series has a great picture, no reason to spend more.

Input lag is very reasonable for these sets. Not twitch FPS gaming mind you.
Personally, I don't like Samsung products at all. I think they're tacky and ugly looking, especially their TV's. I also never play FPS games. I only play Nintendo consoles and will be playing the Nintendo Switch over the next 5+ years.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:19 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I suppose it makes sense to treat your sound system and your TV tuner as a component. Most people can't use the built in tuners now that all the cable channels are scambled, and even people who want OTA channels like a DVR. Do you use a Tablo Tuner or do you recommend something else (or don't you watch OTA television)?

The built in sound system in TV's is usually awful, so it makes sense to simply leave it out.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:16 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
The Best TV | The Wirecutter

And they list the Sony the OP is looking at as the one to buy if you insist on a "real" remote.

And, and...
Quote:
If you just want the best picture possible, get the LG E6 OLED TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I hate when someone asks specifically "I want to get either A or B" and someone pops in and says "I'd get C!"
Man that drives me nuts.

Especially because....
for that budget, I'd get the "Vizio P-Series 55".
https://www.vizio.com/tvs/pseries/p55c1.html
Direct from Vizio, no tax, free shipping: $1,299
  • One of, if not the best, IPS display in the industry
  • 8 Core processor running it
  • Google Cast built in
  • HDR + Dolby Vision
  • Industry leading 126 Active LED zones
  • Android Tablet Remote
  • 5, count 'em 5 HDMI ports

Read ANY review on this TV. You will not find a bad one.

Order direct from Vizio. Free Shipping, probably no tax.
Give them your email address to join the mailing list, they take 5% off your first order.
(That's about $70 off)
Promptly unsubscribe from said email distribution list...

Old 12-15-2016, 08:26 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Waaay back when we bought our Samsung we were in American looking at it and a Sony. Same size, same specs.

What finally decided us was watching an Indy race on each. I was watching the Sony and she was about 30 feet away watching the Samsung. During the race they were interviewing a guy in the pit. Every so often he would turn his head real fast to watch a car go by. I noticed that his beard would "fuzz" every time he did that. So I went to the Samsung and watched. No "fuzz".

Samsung won. It's about 10 years old and stiil looks great. Absolutely no complaints with it. That doesn't mean our next one will be a Samsung. Well maybe. Our phones are, and our tablets are. We seem to like their products. And since we've never had a problem with any of them perhaps our next TV will be.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:33 PM

My current TV is a Sony KDL-42V2500 that I have owned since 2007. It's almost 10 years old and is way outdated for today's standards. However, in many cases, the picture is still very impressive. The black levels really aren't bad and motion is overall okay. Colors are vibrant and great. Viewing angles are excellent and the picture still looks excellent from the side. But I'm sure just about ANY TV produced in 2016 will look better than my current TV which is actually a 2006 model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics