U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2017, 10:48 AM

1,742 posts, read 5,061,460 times

Advertisements

Have Samsung Smart Tv and it won't let me change Netflix and Amazan to full screen. Even though tv is set on 16:9, it won't let me check or change picture size when Amazon and Netflix are opened. What can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 09:31 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,542,774 times
It's how Samsung is programmed. If Amazon and Netflix are sending a 16:9 signal format but showing a 4:3 movie, you will get side bars. None of the 'pic size' will fill the screen, not even 'zoom'
I have a 48" Samsung 6350 connected to antenna and DISH.
With DISH, I have it set to 'zoom' HD channels automatically show 16:9 SD channels that transmit as 4:3 fill the screen. Some channels that are HD but showing old programming in 4:3 format, there is side bars.
With antenna channels, all prime channels are HD and 16:9 filling screen. All SD sub channels were originally 4:3 so 'zoom worked great to fill the screen. Zoom is basically 16:12 to fill the screen but a small portion of top/bottom of picture is lost. But recently, some sub channels have switched to 16:9 and the zoom function no longer works on those channels and it's back to side bars because all their old programming is 4:3. Channels that have remained 4:3, zoom still works.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:58 PM

16,723 posts, read 29,314,884 times
There has to be a setting for adjusting the screen size. I have a 55" Samsung smart TV, but I stream movies and TV shows through an Apple TV, and haven't noticed the OP's problem. I don't know if what makes the difference is the Apple TV, or not. I imagine that it is the TV settings.

Anyway, keep in mind that you can chat with a Netflix technician. I would logon Netflix and have the technician troubleshoot the problem for you. The ones I have chatted with have been great.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:42 AM

2,896 posts, read 1,701,905 times
If the content is 16x9, and includes side bars because of 4x3 content, you'd need to enlarge the whole image, but lose a lot from the top and bottom. My older dumb TV does this quite well, but it's a deeper dive into the menus to find this function.

This problem is ironic, because in the early days of recorded movies, video tape mostly, companies had the opposite problem, converting wide screen movies to 4x3 to fit TV sets. Hence the rise of "pan and scan". Fortunately, most of that early content has been re-mastered to wide screen, although we still see those top and bottom bars for truly wide screen. That content looked really strange on my old 4x3 set, where it felt like there was more bar than content. At least we're not back to that.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:51 AM

14,781 posts, read 36,577,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
Have Samsung Smart Tv and it won't let me change Netflix and Amazan to full screen. Even though tv is set on 16:9, it won't let me check or change picture size when Amazon and Netflix are opened. What can I do?
As others said, the issue is with the source content, not the TV. Amazon and Netflix are sending the signal to the TV as 16:9 and so that is what the TV treats it as. Basically, Amazon and Netflix took the 4:3 content and inserted the black bars on the side to make it 16:9 and they are now telling your TV that the picture they are sending is 16:9. There is no way to fix this unless you can change the way Amazon and Netflix are sending the image. Occasionally they will offer different versions of programs or allow you to select the output style you prefer. If you change it to output that content as 4:3 it will let the TV process the image and display it the way you want to.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
As others said, the issue is with the source content, not the TV. Amazon and Netflix are sending the signal to the TV as 16:9 and so that is what the TV treats it as. Basically, Amazon and Netflix took the 4:3 content and inserted the black bars on the side to make it 16:9 and they are now telling your TV that the picture they are sending is 16:9. There is no way to fix this unless you can change the way Amazon and Netflix are sending the image. Occasionally they will offer different versions of programs or allow you to select the output style you prefer. If you change it to output that content as 4:3 it will let the TV process the image and display it the way you want to.
I got Netflix and every movie I watch fills the screen of my 55" Samsung TV from edge to edge. No black bars at each end whatsoever (the picture fills the screen all the way to the black frame). The same for TV shows, and so on. But I have noticed the black bars you are referring to a couple of times on some of the local TV commercials.

The settings on the TV are as follows:

Picture Mode: Movie
Picture Size: 16:9 Standard

Old 01-07-2017, 07:45 AM

2,896 posts, read 1,701,905 times
I don't know what all your choices are, nor how your TV implements settings, but I suspect it is just scaling all content to fill the screen. Whether it stretches 4x3 or just discards top and bottom I do not know.

If you're happy with it, though, who cares?

Old 01-10-2017, 01:23 PM

14,781 posts, read 36,577,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I got Netflix and every movie I watch fills the screen of my 55" Samsung TV from edge to edge. No black bars at each end whatsoever (the picture fills the screen all the way to the black frame). The same for TV shows, and so on. But I have noticed the black bars you are referring to a couple of times on some of the local TV commercials.

The settings on the TV are as follows:

Picture Mode: Movie
Picture Size: 16:9 Standard
I also have a 55" Samsung Smart TV, J6200 model. I use standard picture mode, but also have size set to 16:9. My sources include a Samsung Bluray player, Comcast box and the TV's smart apps. My bluray and cable box are both set to output at 16:9. Since the TV reads the incoming signal at 16:9 it does nothing to the picture and shows me what is being sent. 90% of the content that I see completely fills the screen. Sometimes movies (those being shown in the true widescreen format) will have black bars on the top and bottom. Sometimes I will only see a "square" in the middle of the screen with black bars on the sides or some other type of filler. ESPN is well known for their filler that they add to their shows since they will bracket old footage with ESPN logos on both sides.

Where you can really see what I am talking about with the other poster is with the cable channels. If I put on a regular cable channel that is broadcasting 4:3 content, my cable box automatically processes the image to fill the screen (if I had the cable box set to 'native' the TV would be the one doing the processing, but the effect would be the same). If I then flip to a HD version of that channel showing older 4:3 content, I will end up with a square 4:3 picture in the middle being bracketed by black boxes or other filler. This is because the BROADCAST is in 16:9 and is actually being sent with the black bars already there.

When I use the TV's smart apps I usually don't have any issues with the picture. When it comes to apps like Netflix and Amazon they usually all display in 16:9 with only the occasional program actually being sent in 4:3. When you will see the black bars when using those apps are when older, non-remastered TV shows are being sent in 16:9 (you will get the black bars on the side) or a movie is being displayed in its original widescreen format (black bars top and bottom).

What ultimately controls the apps is the programming of how it should work for the device that is being used. Since you are using an Apple TV, the Netflix app is being told what to do by the settings on your Apple TV itself. In the case of the OP I suspect they using the included Smart Apps in the Samsung TV and so things are being sent the way that app intended (assuming they have updated their firmware, apps, etc. to rule out any possible errors). I will assume that if they were watching a newer movie it would displayed "properly" in 16:9 but their issue is with older shows that are showing in 4:3. In that case since the Netflix app is sending the content with the black bars already inserted, there is no solution for them.

This article from CNet is a good primer on how the various aspect ratios work and what your TV shows:

https://www.cnet.com/news/widescreen...aspect-ratios/

Old 01-10-2017, 07:36 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,542,774 times
There is a TV OTA broadcaster that now has a modified 4:3 MEtv an OTA sub channels shows old programming, all which were 4:3 I used the 'zoom' pic mode [it's basically a 16:12 picture] to fill the screen Even so, they decided to switch to 16:9 Commercial became full screen 16:9 but programming was reduced to 4:3 with side bars. Zoom function no longer worked.
I wrote a complaint to MEtv and I think so did a lot of the people. They now have a hybrid video. It looks like they are sending their own almost full 'zoom' picture. Very thin side bars and slight loss of top/bottom, almost looks like it might be 14:10

Old 01-11-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I also have a 55" Samsung Smart TV, J6200 model. I use standard picture mode, but also have size set to 16:9. My sources include a Samsung Bluray player, Comcast box and the TV's smart apps. My bluray and cable box are both set to output at 16:9. Since the TV reads the incoming signal at 16:9 it does nothing to the picture and shows me what is being sent. 90% of the content that I see completely fills the screen. Sometimes movies (those being shown in the true widescreen format) will have black bars on the top and bottom. Sometimes I will only see a "square" in the middle of the screen with black bars on the sides or some other type of filler. ESPN is well known for their filler that they add to their shows since they will bracket old footage with ESPN logos on both sides.

Where you can really see what I am talking about with the other poster is with the cable channels. If I put on a regular cable channel that is broadcasting 4:3 content, my cable box automatically processes the image to fill the screen (if I had the cable box set to 'native' the TV would be the one doing the processing, but the effect would be the same). If I then flip to a HD version of that channel showing older 4:3 content, I will end up with a square 4:3 picture in the middle being bracketed by black boxes or other filler. This is because the BROADCAST is in 16:9 and is actually being sent with the black bars already there.

When I use the TV's smart apps I usually don't have any issues with the picture. When it comes to apps like Netflix and Amazon they usually all display in 16:9 with only the occasional program actually being sent in 4:3. When you will see the black bars when using those apps are when older, non-remastered TV shows are being sent in 16:9 (you will get the black bars on the side) or a movie is being displayed in its original widescreen format (black bars top and bottom).

What ultimately controls the apps is the programming of how it should work for the device that is being used. Since you are using an Apple TV, the Netflix app is being told what to do by the settings on your Apple TV itself. In the case of the OP I suspect they using the included Smart Apps in the Samsung TV and so things are being sent the way that app intended (assuming they have updated their firmware, apps, etc. to rule out any possible errors). I will assume that if they were watching a newer movie it would displayed "properly" in 16:9 but their issue is with older shows that are showing in 4:3. In that case since the Netflix app is sending the content with the black bars already inserted, there is no solution for them.

This article from CNet is a good primer on how the various aspect ratios work and what your TV shows:

https://www.cnet.com/news/widescreen...aspect-ratios/
Agree with you. Probably the Apple TV is making the proper adjustments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or