U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 01:31 PM

3 posts, read 1,282 times

Advertisements

I recently pulled out my old Technics SL-1350 direct-drive turntable and connected it to a Pyle PP444 preamp and Marantz SR-5010 receiver, both new. I listened to a dozen of my LPs from the '60s and '70s. TT ran fine, but something was obviously wrong. In all the vocals, the lead singers sounded faint and hollow; like they were recorded in a deep well, while the backup singers and instruments were quite prominent. I dragged out my Behringer UFO202 and 40-year-old Olson preamps - same problem with both. My cartridge is a Shure M55E. Do cartridges go bad? What else could be wrong? I'm stumped!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 02:33 PM

11,832 posts, read 13,968,972 times
Dead midrange in the speakers?

Old 01-12-2017, 08:10 PM

18,546 posts, read 55,477,958 times
Somewhere in the wiring, you reverted to karaoki mode. Singers are almost always center channel.

Inverting the ground and hot for one channel of the two will cancel the center channel.

Simple Karaoke Circuit - electronics.rory.co.nz

Old 01-13-2017, 01:13 AM

26,158 posts, read 15,747,082 times
Welcome to the site

Are they original 60s records your listening to or re-issues??

Old 01-13-2017, 10:40 AM

2,903 posts, read 1,705,039 times
Harry may have the answer. Speaker phasing is very important. If you have the same problem using headphones, then it is not speaker phasing.

Other things to consider are whether you are plugged into an input with RIAA equalization - usually an input labelled phone (for phonograph, but read the pre-amp instructions)

Bad stylus might be a problem, but I don't know what it would sound like. If you have a magnifying glass, you might want to look at the stylus tip. They can get chipped and get crudded up, with bad consequences.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:37 PM

Thanks to all of you for your comments. The mystery is solved! The comments I received started me re-thinking the problem. Harry's words, "singers are almost always center channel" particularly set me on the right path. I had been eyeing the center channel speaker output on my new Marantz. Not using it; just looking at it and thinking about it, repeatedly. You see, the last time my turntable played, it was hooked up to a stereo Altec receiver, decades ago; ya' know, back in the 2.0 days. The records all sounded great in 2.0, but we hadn't been spoiled by surround sound yet, at least not in our homes.
Now comes my mighty 7.1 channel Marantz, and the lead singers are all but lost... why?... because it was just a temporary 2.0 channel hookup, to check the new receiver and the old turntable.
Then today bigbear posted, "If you have the same problem using headphones, then it is not speaker phasing." So I plugged in the headphones and I did NOT have the same problem. I instantly realized the center channel was not optional! I dashed to my storeroom and dug out a 1962 University bookshelf speaker to use as a temporary center channel. Voila! The "Frankie Valli sound" was back! (And all the other leads, too.) I just ordered a JBL Loft 20 for my new center channel speaker, and I had already been replacing several bad electrolytic capacitors in my JBL E250P powered subwoofer. Along with my two venerable JBL J325A mains, it should all shape up into a decent 3.1 channel phono system.
Thanks again!

Old 01-13-2017, 08:19 PM

Im glad its better for ya buddy!!

We are glad your here @ city-data

Old 01-14-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Welcome to the site

Are they original 60s records your listening to or re-issues??
That's a good question to ask. They are all originals.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:04 PM

Yes as if they were re-issues they MAY BE digital and not analog and might have strange sounds,etc.... (Def wouldnt sound as good)

Old 01-14-2017, 03:31 PM

2,903 posts, read 1,705,039 times
Dude111, are you sure you know what you're talking about? There are NO digital LPs. LPs are strictly analog. Yes, some LPs have been "digitally" remastered and reissued, but the digital remastering is an intermediate step - the content goes from old master audio tape (analog), converted to digital, digitally edited, and then output as an analog signal for cutting the master disc.

Why a digital intermediate? Because digital allows things like noise reduction and mixing more easily than the old analog equipment so you end up with an analog signal that's lower in noise, better fidelity, better equalization and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics