U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2017, 10:33 AM

60 posts, read 43,692 times

Advertisements

Situation:

Let's say I can connect to a wifi in a foreign country. Because the IP is based outside the US, I'm unable to watch streaming services similar to Hulu.

Proposed Solution:

Step 1: Install a wifi extender and have it connect to the network. Step 2: Edit the settings so that any device that connects to the extender routes to a high-quality US-based VPN for $10 a month. Step 3: Simply connect a Roku or other decide to the Wifi extender and I should now be able to access U.S. content.

My question for city-data is: will this work? Any other methods that will get the same desired result? What is a good wifi extender that will accomplish the above?

Note: For the purpose of this question I said services similar to Hulu, not Hulu itself, so there is no TOS restrictions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 10:24 AM

2,896 posts, read 1,701,905 times
VPNs that I'm aware of work on terminal devices, not at the LAN level, at least not consumer LAN equipment. Can't you just set up your devices to only connect through a VPN? Much simpler.

Why do you even need an extender?

Regardless, I suspect your biggest problem with this approach will be throughput. Maybe you can do 480p? Or does your VPN provider offer higher throughput? How about data caps by them?

You are hardly the first to try this, so I would not worry too much about TOS violations. Just don't be blatant about it, like post captures to youtube.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Can't you just set up your devices to only connect through a VPN? Much simpler.
Not an option for the equipment I'm using.

Quote:
Regardless, I suspect your biggest problem with this approach will be throughput. Maybe you can do 480p? Or does your VPN provider offer higher throughput? How about data caps by them?
The service I'm using is closer to the amount of data required for VOIP than video.

Quote:
You are hardly the first to try this, so I would not worry too much about TOS violations. Just don't be blatant about it, like post captures to youtube.
Really, there is no TOS violations as the issue is censorship\blocking of the IP address by the internet service provider/host country.

Quote:
VPNs that I'm aware of work on terminal devices, not at the LAN level, at least not consumer LAN equipment.
Quote:
Why do you even need an extender?
I believe I may have found a wifi extender that will route via vpn/proximity server and it suits my need to connect one or multiple devices, by wifi or LAN connection, so that they appear to have a US-based IP address. I'm unable to configure the devices to route through a proxy - some of them don't even have wifi ability so will need to connect them via LAN cable. I'm open to other suggestions, but the wifi extender which allows VPN/Proxy server routing is the only idea I have to solve this situation.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:15 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times
You should be able to configure that on the wireless router itself.

Connect Your Home Router to a VPN to Bypass Censorship, Filtering, and More

Old 01-15-2017, 03:43 PM

^ Let's say the home router is owned by the ISP and I would prefer not to mess with the settings, hence the use of a wifi extender which can the be freely configured.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:56 PM

2,896 posts, read 1,701,905 times
One of the ASUS mentioned in the article should do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or