U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 10:13 AM

3,991 posts, read 2,627,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Bogus argument.
Let's say that one CD ripped to FLAC is 500 MB.
That means that 1000 CDs is 500 000 MB, or 500 GB. Or 1/2 TB.
A 3 TB external drive drive costs $135. That is 6000 CDs. You paid $90,000 for those CDs.
Not bogus at all. You assume all I do is rip my own CD's, lol. I quit buying CD's quite a while ago. I got the majority of those songs by other means.

Close to 95k songs at the moment, total is 670gb. I also need to back them up, I cannot have them in just one place. The drive takes a dump, so does my entire collection. By the way, you could buy an 8TB drive for the $135 you mention. Prices have come down drastically, so the price is not the issue, it's manageability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 01:45 PM

471 posts, read 126,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Old thread but here goes. I do not have a single device in my new home that is being used to receive music. The choices seem overwhelming and I don't understand the terminology.

But having retired I now have plenty of time to listen indoors and would appreciate someone passing along suggestions as to a good basic system for home use. Someone suggest Bose, but can I use that with a subscription service?

I once had a trial system on my computer where you could ask for music "like" a song you played. Does that still exist? My budget is only limited to be commensurate with what I'm getting, and something that won't be obsolete next year. Any suggestions?

My wife uses Pandora for music. She uses her laptop, computer, and samsung phone to listen to music. Here's the link:

https://www.pandora.com/

Old 09-06-2019, 07:34 AM

6,181 posts, read 2,797,205 times
Quote:
Old thread but here goes. I do not have a single device in my new home that is being used to receive music. The choices seem overwhelming and I don't understand the terminology.

But having retired I now have plenty of time to listen indoors and would appreciate someone passing along suggestions as to a good basic system for home use. Someone suggest Bose, but can I use that with a subscription service?

I once had a trial system on my computer where you could ask for music "like" a song you played. Does that still exist? My budget is only limited to be commensurate with what I'm getting, and something that won't be obsolete next year. Any suggestions?
Well, almost anything you use a computer to access will be using mp3 format which is not a high quality format.

If you want high quality sound, you need at a minimum, a reasonable quality amplifier (solid state is fine), and speakers that have some physical size to them. You'll need to be playing CDs or .wav files, or analog sources (LPs or high quality magnetic tape). Especially if you're listening to recently recorded music - almost all of which is way too close-miked and compressed to begin with - playing it through little bitty speakers that are trying to simulate big speakers, will get you that "in your face, can hear every single faint breath the singer takes" sound that gives an impression of accuracy in the store but is just plain exhausting after a few dozen hours in your own living room. Add the .mp3 compression and you can easily spend a couple thousand bucks on teeny little speakers and interface streaming online gadgets, to get a system that sounds just like the AM radio in your old '65 Plymouth.

On average, relatively inexpensive speakers of generous size will sound better, overall, than expensive tiny speakers, once you get over the initial oohh cool factor of hearing ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING RIGHT IN YOUR FACE that the expensive tiny speakers provide. Personally I wouldn't go for anything smaller than the old Klipsch Heresy. My speakers are about 1.5 times that volume, and were not particularly expensive, and paired with a modest amplifier they sound terrific.

Unfortunately the convenience factor you also mentioned, will drive you toward computer/streaming type sound files. Of course, there's no reason why you couldn't play crappy mp3 sound files through a high quality system when you want convenience and play high quality sound sources through your high quality system when you want to listen to quality sound. If it were me I would start out with a good quality amplifier and speakers, and then figure out your interface to the streaming/online doohickeys.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:38 AM

6,618 posts, read 3,631,457 times
I have these speakers, Edifier. Works Bluetooth or cabled. $400 puts out great sound.

https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-S2000...gateway&sr=8-5

Old 09-11-2019, 11:02 AM

4,080 posts, read 3,341,933 times
I've never regretted owning Sonos speakers. As someone who always has music playing, controlling all rooms and music sources easily from my phone is very satisfying and the sound quality is excellent to my ears. Easily switching or syncing music sources between rooms rocks.

Old 09-11-2019, 03:52 PM

11,853 posts, read 13,978,818 times
You should have started a new thread, luv.

Quote:

This is Pandora as Mike Fong suggested. Yes, it still exists.

I would splurge a little and get a nice bluetooth sound bar:
https://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-SB2920-...s%2C154&sr=8-8

Connect this to your phone and stream away.
There's a lot of options for you as I'm sure you are about to see with all the suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or