U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 11:46 AM

351 posts, read 220,720 times

Advertisements

Hi all:

I grow weary of listening to my classical music on an iPod, and would like to put together some sort of home system. I live in an apartment, so, I would want to be respectful to my neighbors my not making a lot of noise, meaning, I do not think I need 1000 watts of anything etc., Anyways, not sure which way to go...some sort of all-in-one shelf system or put together components (CD player, speakers, and amplifier). I do not want to spend tons of money but, would like something that will last a long time and really helps to hear the beautiful sounds of Mozart, Chopin, and Beethoven.

Appreciate your ideas...

thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 01:25 PM

4,169 posts, read 9,408,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post
Hi all:

I grow weary of listening to my classical music on an iPod, and would like to put together some sort of home system. I live in an apartment, so, I would want to be respectful to my neighbors my not making a lot of noise, meaning, I do not think I need 1000 watts of anything etc., Anyways, not sure which way to go...some sort of all-in-one shelf system or put together components (CD player, speakers, and amplifier). I do not want to spend tons of money but, would like something that will last a long time and really helps to hear the beautiful sounds of Mozart, Chopin, and Beethoven.

Appreciate your ideas...

thanks..

Do yourself a favor and do some research on HTC HMS-100. You may be about to find one of these on Ebay and good will store. The types of music you are listening to, you will really enjoy this setup. I have one in my office and one in my bedroom. The more you play, the better it gets. I upgraded my tubes to old Russian tubes but the stock ones are fine.

A lot of folks on the audio forum jump on these about 7-8 years ago when they could be had for less than $100 brand new. Used one pop up on Ebay and audio forums once a while. The original dock won't work with the iPod anymore.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:54 PM

16,724 posts, read 29,321,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post
Hi all:

Appreciate your ideas...

thanks..
If what you want is to play the music stored in your iPod, then you have a lot of choices. You can use a powered speaker system, for example. But if you use such, look for one the top of the line powered speaker. Some of these can be very expensive depending on what you want. The problem with these is that you will disturb the neighbors unless you keep the volume low.
The Best Wireless Speakers of 2016 | PCMag.com

A better choice would be to buy receiver such as this one, since you can use a headphone to listen to your music as loud as you can take it without disturbing the neighbors:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RN3....html?tp=47041

But you will need at least two good quality speakers (four would be better), and the best headphones you can afford if you don't want to make any noise. Another positive is that you can add to it (when the money is available) a record player, CD/DVD player, and so on. Also, if you don't have the money for speakers but have a good set of headphones, you can use the latter to listen to your music. You don't want to buy cheap speakers.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:36 PM

2,900 posts, read 1,703,756 times
IMHO, it is very easy to over-buy audio systems. The upsells are easy.

A component system will easily cost you several hundred, and that's with mediocre speakers. Headphones may or may not work for you. They aren't the most convenient if you move around much, and can be uncomfortable for long listening sessions.

You might start by cruising the aisles of your local big box retailers, and know in advance that gaudiness and big speakers often mean booming base and poor fidelity.

There are no easy answers for you, since your choices are endless. By all means call Crutchfield and get their catalog, but know in advance that they are not the cheapest.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:36 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,545,480 times
If you have LP's and a turntable, make sure the receiver has a 'phono in'. Many lower cost receivers no longer have it. I discovered this 'cost cutting' emission when my Sony receiver died. There are only four companies that make AV/receiver in mid/high price range with 'phono in'.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:31 AM

29,668 posts, read 16,085,647 times
If you want something simple, try getting a high end computer speaker system with a subwoofer and two regular speakers. All you should need (check each individual system to be sure) is an 1/8" headphone jack cable to plug from your Ipod to the Aux In connector.

I bought an Altec Lansing system for $28 a several years ago. I usually have it connected to my computer system, but when we had a graduation party this summer - I moved the speakers to the main living room and used my son's iPhone for music. It provides more than adequate sound to fill a room.

You should be able to easily test speaker systems in an electronics store.

You can make it more convenient by getting a bluetooth adapter to plug into the speaker system and control the music from your phone remotely.

Or - you could a Bose Bluetooth speaker... great quality.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:20 PM

14,385 posts, read 21,063,143 times
What is your budget in $?
What is your budget in time (Hours of labor)?

P.S. Why the triple asterisks?

Old 01-20-2017, 03:47 AM

351 posts, read 220,720 times
Budget is...less than $500. Timewise, no rush. Asterisks? No reason..

Old 01-20-2017, 07:02 AM

1,525 posts, read 2,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Or - you could a Bose Bluetooth speaker... great quality.
I second this - I have a SoundLink III and it's great for smaller spaces. Great sound, decent battery life if you want to travel with it and not too heavy.

We have a surround sound system for our living room (Onkyo) and I'm happy with it, though I suspect the receiver is slowly on its way out. For the bedrooms, we have Sonos players.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:09 AM

2,900 posts, read 1,703,756 times
Be aware that Bluetooth is low fidelity because its bandwidth is so narrow. Does not seem to matter to most people, who use it for cheap headphones or cheap speakers, but you would not want it in an expensive system with good speakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or