Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2017, 09:31 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times

Advertisements

We have Fiber Optic lines for CenturyLink run alongside the house. Looking at trying CenturyLink 1 Gig Internet and Prism TV. Anybody have any experience with a 100% fiber optic setup from them? How is the picture quality?

Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 10:10 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
I have used CenturyLink and their 1 Gig internet was a bit buggy when they first rolled it out. I suspect it had more to do with the service being new in the area and new to CenturyLink. Over time, things improved. Be careful of the cost that can get charged for all sorts of little setup and additions. You may have to call them when you get the first bill to have one of their staff attempt to explain it. You'll never understand it and they really can't explain it because it was designed by those two aliens from the spaceship that crashed at Roswell, but its part of the "entertainment package" to have them try. So invite friend over and put CenturyLink on speakerphone while they try and explain the bill to you for the listening enjoyment of all the others.

Prism is Prism and nothing special one way or the other. So long as you get the package that is going to have what you want, it's pretty clean service with no surprises. Prism picture quality is really dependent on the picture quality of the feed they are getting. If its picture perfect, you'll get picture perfect with fiber. There's a lot of extras such as special channels during holidays or during events.

However, like so many in this area, I finally had to dump CenturyLink. Not because the internet service was bad, not because Prism was bad, and not even because their phone service was bad; what they provide is fine, it's CenturyLink itself that is the problem. I have never in my whole life dealt with a company that is so bad at being a company. I would guess that right now, of the original hundred or so homes that had CenturyLink fiber and Prism, only about 8 or 9 still are customers. Everyone else cancelled due to how horrible CenturyLink was as a company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics