U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 04:48 PM

383 posts, read 288,204 times

Advertisements

I have purchased 5 Vizio TV’s 3 for the house, one for the RV, and one for the boat. I think it’s a great TV for the money. I use them mainly to watch Amazon movies or downloaded movies from a thumb drive. I just purchased my sixth Vizio for my apartment and it is nothing like my other TV’s. It no longer supports Amazon Prime, and you can’t get a directory to come up with a USB drive.

I called tech support and their reason for not supporting Amazon is they are now partners with Google/Chromcast and Amazon is a competitor.

When I stick a thumb drive in the USB it will auto play the first movie, but no directory comes up so you can’t choose what movie to watch. My other TV’s acted more like a computer where you could see all the continent and pick what file to open.

I don’t think this TV will work for me.

Any suggestions on a reasonably priced TV that has Prime and the ability to read thumb drives like the old Visio’s? Simple and affordable no need for 4k.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 06:20 PM

4,272 posts, read 8,020,951 times
I hear Vizio M series are pretty good. I recently bought and returned 2 Sony TVs. Those were base 2015 models that don't even have TV guide/listing. But the main reason I returned them had to do with not being able to play TS files with external SRT files.

Anyway, I am looking for a TV again. This time it looks to be a 4K model. Why not? They are cheap and future proof. Plus the industry is focusing on 4k now, so that's where they put the latest enhancements.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:07 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,549,202 times
I had a Vizio for a couple of weeks. Out of the box, HDMI2 didn't work. On screen clock very erratic Picked what ever time it wanted. Two weeks and got a dead pixel. Zero help from Vizio. Returned for a refund. Upgraded to a mid level Samsung.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:42 PM

28,643 posts, read 40,617,860 times
Depending on what you are wanting this might do. We just bought this at Costco. By signing up for the Citi Visa card and using it to buy the set (online) we end up with a 4 year warranty. 1 year Samsung, 1 year Costco, 2 years Citi card.

https://www.costco.com/Samsung-65%22...100293621.html

Old 01-26-2017, 07:28 AM

14,781 posts, read 36,591,703 times
I think some folks may be missing the "affordable" part of this. I debated getting a similar Vizio this Christmas. We wanted a 50" for my son's room for gaming and a 55" for the rec room. Other than a Pioneer Kuro in the living room, all of our TV's are Samsungs. I initially liked the price of the Vizio for it being 4k and the built-in Chromecast seemed like a great idea. However, after reading about it and checking out a ton of reviews, I decided to pass. I still had a budget, so couldn't just spend $1,000 on one TV. Ended up getting a great deal on two Samsung J6200's in 50" and 55". They are "only" 1080p, but light years better than what the low end Vizio 4k was offering. The plan is to get a good Samsung 4k to replace the Kuro next year as it's finally on it's last legs.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:07 PM

28,643 posts, read 40,617,860 times
If you're referring to me, then affordable is $2000.00. Easily. If the OP doesn't put a number on the screen there is no way to know what "affordable" is.

Quote:
I have purchased 5 Vizio TV’s 3 for the house, one for the RV, and one for the boat.
doesn't sound like someone in the poor house.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:08 AM

14,781 posts, read 36,591,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If you're referring to me, then affordable is $2000.00. Easily. If the OP doesn't put a number on the screen there is no way to know what "affordable" is.

doesn't sound like someone in the poor house.
I was basing that on the fact that a Vizio E50-xx is a $400 TV ($350 if you catch it on sale). A 4k Samsung of equivalent size is pretty much double the price (and I would argue the Samsung is worth nearly double when you compare them side-by-side). When you take that into consideration, he could have easily bought all 5 TV's that he has for the price of the one Samsung you linked to (which is a great TV).

When comparing these E series to the better brands on price, you are pretty much looking at 1080p models from the better manufacturers. Obviously that was Vizio's plan all along, to be able to offer 4k for a price that others were only offering 1080p, but it shows quickly in the quality of these low end 4k sets. Like I said, I was initially drawn to the E series as well given the price and features, but when really comparing them, the 1080p Samsungs I ended up with cost the same and were much better TV's.

Personally, I only have one TV in the house that I could justify $2k on and that is the one in our living room that we mainly use for movies. The old Kuro is on its last legs and will most likely be replaced this year with the kind of Samsung you linked to previously. The other TV's are really just used to watch cable TV in the family room/kitchen and the bedrooms. No need for anything high end, hence the content of my earlier post. Not all of us feel the need to drop $2,000+ on a TV so we can watch the morning news...

Old 01-27-2017, 08:15 AM

3,587 posts, read 2,575,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberous View Post
When I stick a thumb drive in the USB it will auto play the first movie, but no directory comes up so you can’t choose what movie to watch. My other TV’s acted more like a computer where you could see all the continent and pick what file to open.

I don’t think this TV will work for me.
Why not just get a Roku (a 3 or an ultra) or Amazon FireTV? Both support USB playback. I'm sure there are other options out there as well.

Also, built in SmartTV interfaces are pretty awful. You're missing out on a lot of performance and features when you rely on the TV software (especially at such a low price point)

Old 02-06-2017, 01:12 AM

169 posts, read 84,675 times
I know this is the 3rd time I recommend it but if you have an old laptop lying around you can connect it to any TV aka dumb TV and make it smart .

I told my husband that we don't need smart TV coz of that setup but he still bought that expensive samsung smart tv. oh well. And then proceeded to STILL connect it to PC. So our TV is double smart aka genius!

Old 02-06-2017, 01:22 PM

4,272 posts, read 8,020,951 times
My 32'' bedroom TV broke. I moved the 55'' smart living room TV to the bedroom as a temporary replacement. It's been 3 months now and I am liking the 55'' in the bedroom a lot.

I made the stupid mistake of hitting the factory reset button which requires internet connection to setup the TV which I don't have. So now the TV only functions as a display/monitor. I connect my laptop to it, and it's awesome.

Buy big, as big as your room will take. If you use your TV as a computer display at 5ft or further, your eyes will thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or