U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 09:46 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,290,077 times

Advertisements

Dont be giving ideas to the FCC here.. they might start doing just that.. o wait they are with the hidden fees in your cable bills.. nevermind...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 03:00 PM

5,374 posts, read 11,286,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
How does it work out if one uses a TV only to watch "canned" such as DVDs and Tape from units but no actual channels?
Then no license required, since you are only using that box as a monitor !
But if they catch you ever watching commercial TV ...

On the other hand nobody does what you are suggesting !

Old 02-02-2017, 06:32 PM

10,563 posts, read 5,814,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Then no license required, since you are only using that box as a monitor !
But if they catch you ever watching commercial TV ...

On the other hand nobody does what you are suggesting !
I guess I wouldn't make it in England for that is exactly what I do.

Which leads to the next question. What's the "canned" market like over there? I would assume pretty good since I buy a lot of DVDs from England, Germany, and the Netherlands.

Or is just for export, do they recognize a silly yank pushover market?

Old 02-02-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I guess I wouldn't make it in England for that is exactly what I do.

Which leads to the next question. What's the "canned" market like over there? I would assume pretty good since I buy a lot of DVDs from England, Germany, and the Netherlands.

You do not watch commercial TV, or you can not receive any OTA TV ?

There is Netflix in Europe, but since I have been gone from there for a few years I am not sure how that is handled ...

In England there is a company named *screenselect.co.uk* which is very much like Netflix.

Quote:
What's the "canned" market like over there? I would assume pretty good since I buy a lot of DVDs from England, Germany, and the Netherlands.

Why would a local company produce entertainment on DVD and only make it for export ?

Something you may not realise is that many libraries in Europe have movies on DVD !

Amazon is another source in Europe.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:31 AM

Quote:
You do not watch commercial TV, or you can not receive any OTA TV ?

There is Netflix in Europe, but since I have been gone from there for a few years I am not sure how that is handled ...

In England there is a company named *screenselect.co.uk* which is very much like Netflix.

Why would a local company produce entertainment on DVD and only make it for export ?

Something you may not realise is that many libraries in Europe have movies on DVD !

Amazon is another source in Europe.
I do not watch commercial TV. The change to reality (and other conditions) obliterated an overly healthy TV watching habit of 30 years to practically ZERO in about 4 years (around 2008). From 2008 to about now, watching has dropped to at best, 1%. Now, in my new house, I don't have cable, I don't have dish, all my watching is "Canned" from DVDs and tapes.

Mine is a world where if I see something interesting, I check to see if Amazon can get it for me. I am tired of being jerked around by networks and services. If I can't have it in my hot little hand, I am not interested.

I don't use Netflix, I don't use Hulu, etc, etc, etc.

As far as a local producing entertainment only for export......if that's where the profit was, why not? So the question is, is the profit there.......though I was saying it with a degree of levity.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I do not watch commercial TV. The change to reality (and other conditions) obliterated an overly healthy TV watching habit of 30 years to practically ZERO in about 4 years (around 2008). From 2008 to about now, watching has dropped to at best, 1%. Now, in my new house, I don't have cable, I don't have dish, all my watching is "Canned" from DVDs and tapes.

Mine is a world where if I see something interesting, I check to see if Amazon can get it for me. I am tired of being jerked around by networks and services. If I can't have it in my hot little hand, I am not interested.

I don't use Netflix, I don't use Hulu, etc, etc, etc.

As far as a local producing entertainment only for export......if that's where the profit was, why not? So the question is, is the profit there.......though I was saying it with a degree of levity.
I wish I could live like you but I do still have a *want* (not need !) for knowing what the heck is going on outside my world.

So all you need is a large enough high definition TV with a built in DVD/CD player.
I think a monitor alone (which would have a way better resolution), may be too expensive ...

Last question if you do not mind ...
<<<Mine is a world where if I see something interesting>>>
What do you use to *see* it ?

Old 02-03-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I wish I could live like you but I do still have a *want* (not need !) for knowing what the heck is going on outside my world.

So all you need is a large enough high definition TV with a built in DVD/CD player.
I think a monitor alone (which would have a way better resolution), may be too expensive ...

Last question if you do not mind ...
<<<Mine is a world where if I see something interesting>>>
What do you use to *see* it ?
Telemundo at work such as with the advertisements for movies.

Work has cable TV and a huge screen above my head. I work the mid shift. When I come in, I immediately change the station to Telemundo or Galavision. I find it not as distracting at work and when the news comes on, more informative than Anglais stations.....which says a lot since I don't speak Spanish. I've seen enough of it over 10 years that I now hear individual words and can read some of the closed captions, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or