U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 03:45 PM

15,474 posts, read 19,695,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njgoat View Post
there is and it works well, but as far as i know it does not allow you to use headphones and the regular speakers at the same time. Most people in the op's situation have one person that needs to listen very loud, so they use headphones. The other person listens at a normal volume from the regular tv speakers. The roku feature is great, but only allows one or the other.
bingo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
If you have tried everything you can think of with the wifi router and TV wifi itself, then the next step is to see if you can get it to work through the LAN port with a direct wired connection. Virtually all TV's with wifi capability also have a LAN port on the back that allows you to plug the TV directly into your router with a LAN cable. The wired connection, if it works, will generally be faster and more reliable than the wireless connection.

The only hurdle to overcome is that most people's internet router and TV are not in the same room and most homes don't have network wiring installed. This is easy to overcome these days with a "Powerline LAN" setup. These allow you to use your home wiring as a LAN by using devices that plug into your wall. A kit like this would do the trick:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_rd_i=1194444

Plug in one near your router and connect it to the router with a network cable. Plug the other into an outlet near your TV and connect it to the TV with a network cable. Instant wired home network. I use this exact one in my house for our video game systems and smart TV's as it is a much better connection than even 5ghz wifi and eliminates issues when you have tons of devices trying to stream over wifi at the same time.
Stupid question, I suspect, but you mean the wifi router, correct? (Not the ooma router or cable internet router)

And by network cable, you mean these? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013W0ARNY...ing=UTF8&psc=1

And what is the difference between the model you suggested and this one (besides $20) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D7GF6NA...P6D3VDW1W&th=1

One MORE question, please? If the internal card that finds the wifi is broken on my Samsung TV, hard wiring the way you suggest would connect the tv to the internet for steaming, etc.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:59 PM

2,906 posts, read 1,708,175 times
Thought: if the headphones are wifi, you might be getting interference, even though the headphones only receive. Devices work together, or not, in funny ways. I can confirm powerline internet. It solved the problems I had with my TV devices. I set it up with an access point so its wifi would overwhelm interference, and since some of my devices were wifi only. Worked like a charm.

Remember that you can get a good wifi signal in a location that has lots of interfering devices. Low bandwidthlike browsing and email will work fine, but streaming video will fail - buffer all the time.

Not connecting is a different problem, no doubt.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:00 PM

21,552 posts, read 24,693,354 times
Quote:
There is and it works well, but as far as I know it does not allow you to use headphones and the regular speakers at the same time. Most people in the OP's situation have one person that needs to listen very loud, so they use headphones. The other person listens at a normal volume from the regular TV speakers. The Roku feature is great, but only allows one or the other.
Well why not use a splitter? One side goes to headphones and one side goes to amplified speakers. There is a volume control on the remote, a volume control on the speakers and one can get headphones with a volume control.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:42 PM

28,643 posts, read 40,622,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
And what is the difference between the model you suggested and this one (besides $20) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D7GF6NA...P6D3VDW1W&th=1
Pass through. One set allows you to continue to use the outlet, the other does not.

Pass through.

Not pass through

Quote:
Stupid question, I suspect, but you mean the wifi router, correct? (Not the ooma router or cable internet router)

And by network cable, you mean these? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013W0ARNY...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Yes,but you can buy them for less.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...d=HVR717IPB67U

One MORE question, please? If the internal card that finds the wifi is broken on my Samsung TV, hard wiring the way you suggest would connect the tv to the internet for steaming, etc.

It should, yes.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:17 AM

14,781 posts, read 36,594,746 times
Tek gave good answers as well...

Quote:
You want to plug into whichever router goes out to the internet. Not sure exactly how your network is setup to give precise advice. Your wifi routers are at some point hard wired to a router or cable modem that allows them to access the internet. Optimally you would plug into that router. Start from your cable modem and trace the connections. In general you'll want to plug this device into the first available network port once you start tracing. If the cable modem has network ports on it, just plug right into that.

Quote:
Yes, but as Tek said, there are cheaper ones available. You should also read the product description for the powerline adapters you buy as some may come with cables included.

Quote:
As Tek said, the pass through feature is the main difference. That may or may not matter to you. Personally, I like having the plug still be accessible.

Quote:
Yes, assuming that it is the wifi portion that has gone bad and not something else within the TV itself, hard wiring it like this will allow you to connect the TV to the internet and stream content like you used to. IF there is something else broken in the TV, besides the wifi itself, this may not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Well why not use a splitter? One side goes to headphones and one side goes to amplified speakers. There is a volume control on the remote, a volume control on the speakers and one can get headphones with a volume control.
It would work, but it's not exactly a clean solution. I would imagine there has to be a way to setup the headphones to work the way they want them with different inputs, but maybe not.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:50 PM

21,552 posts, read 24,693,354 times
Quote:
It would work, but it's not exactly a clean solution. I would imagine there has to be a way to setup the headphones to work the way they want them with different inputs, but maybe not.
There is also a TOSLINK on the TV. It doesn't switch off when headphones are plugged in.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
There is also a TOSLINK on the TV. It doesn't switch off when headphones are plugged in.
Technically way over my head. . .

Old 02-05-2017, 03:18 PM

169 posts, read 84,693 times
Aside from connecting through ethernet. You might as well just connect a PC on your TV. We have a perfectly working smart TV but is ALSO connected to PC. You can stream everything on PC but I don't know about the headphone situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics