U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 02:35 PM

15,476 posts, read 19,699,311 times

Advertisements

Five year old Samsung smart tv will not connect to our WiFi. There's no question that it's the TV not the router. Samsung phone techs believe the internal LAN on the TV has died and I agree. Clearly, that's not worth fixing.

I did purchase an amazon smart stick, but can't say I'm thrilled with the software. And, since I have to change to the TV input to use it, the audio does not go to my hard of hearing husband's ear phones. (They worked fine when I streamed thru the smart tv.)

We don't stream very often. Occasional use for Amazon Prime, youtube. Might stream more in the future. We do not own a Blu-ray player, and I'm thinking that getting a blueray that has streaming functions built in might be the way to go?

I'm not looking to spend a lot here 9the Firestick was only $40 and can still be returned.). Recommendations and ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 03:23 PM

10,756 posts, read 18,017,874 times
Roku is by far the best option IMHO, Prime, Netflix, Youtube, and many other streaming options.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:28 PM

2,317 posts, read 1,583,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Five year old Samsung smart tv will not connect to our WiFi. There's no question that it's the TV not the router. Samsung phone techs believe the internal LAN on the TV has died and I agree. Clearly, that's not worth fixing.

I did purchase an amazon smart stick, but can't say I'm thrilled with the software. And, since I have to change to the TV input to use it, the audio does not go to my hard of hearing husband's ear phones. (They worked fine when I streamed thru the smart tv.)

We don't stream very often. Occasional use for Amazon Prime, youtube. Might stream more in the future. We do not own a Blu-ray player, and I'm thinking that getting a blueray that has streaming functions built in might be the way to go?

I'm not looking to spend a lot here 9the Firestick was only $40 and can still be returned.). Recommendations and ideas?

Perhaps your router is set to ONLY broadcast at "N" speeds, and your tv set can only "see" "G" speeds?

If so, log into your router and set it to broadcast both "G" and "N".

For what it's worth, my 2013 LG smart tv was always funky with wireless, and I then just hooked it directly into my router with an ethernet cable. If there's anyway you can do the same, that's by far the better way to go.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:09 AM

14,781 posts, read 36,597,897 times
If you have tried everything you can think of with the wifi router and TV wifi itself, then the next step is to see if you can get it to work through the LAN port with a direct wired connection. Virtually all TV's with wifi capability also have a LAN port on the back that allows you to plug the TV directly into your router with a LAN cable. The wired connection, if it works, will generally be faster and more reliable than the wireless connection.

The only hurdle to overcome is that most people's internet router and TV are not in the same room and most homes don't have network wiring installed. This is easy to overcome these days with a "Powerline LAN" setup. These allow you to use your home wiring as a LAN by using devices that plug into your wall. A kit like this would do the trick:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_rd_i=1194444

Plug in one near your router and connect it to the router with a network cable. Plug the other into an outlet near your TV and connect it to the TV with a network cable. Instant wired home network. I use this exact one in my house for our video game systems and smart TV's as it is a much better connection than even 5ghz wifi and eliminates issues when you have tons of devices trying to stream over wifi at the same time.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:26 AM

I'm not at all interested in hard wiring the TV. The house was built in 2013 prewired for wifi. The routers are in a closet. Thevwifi works perfectly on every other device used by us and by frequent houseguests. Furthermore, the Samsung Smart TV interface was lousy when we bought it 5 years ago. Now, it's an antique.

I'm looking to replace, preferably with a blueray player that also includes a decent interface for streaming. Or other cheap streaming devices.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I'm not at all interested in hard wiring the TV. The house was built in 2013 prewired for wifi. The routers are in a closet. Thevwifi works perfectly on every other device used by us and by frequent houseguests. Furthermore, the Samsung Smart TV interface was lousy when we bought it 5 years ago. Now, it's an antique.

I'm looking to replace, preferably with a blueray player that also includes a decent interface for streaming. Or other cheap streaming devices.
I have great wifi in my house as well. I still prefer to have a wired connection to certain devices that are going to consume a lot of data. It's simply more reliable and avoids "traffic" issues. Of course, none of this may be an issue for you. I have 5 people in my house, including 3 kids, and multiple devices all competing for bandwidth. Beyond that, I gave the suggestion because of the issue related to the use of the headphones. No matter what streaming solution you choose, it will require a change of input. I fear you may have the same issue with the headphones regardless of what solution you choose. Given that, the literally five minute fix of the powerline LAN to use what you already have, may not seem so bad afterall.

If you want cheap streaming devices, the two best are the Roku stick or the Google Chromecast. Biggest difference between them is that the Roku is self-contained while the Chromecast requires you to have a device like a smart phone or tablet to control it/stream the content. The more basic versions of each are in the $40 range with the "ultra" models pushing into the $60-$70 range. The main difference is whether or not they can display 4k.

When it comes to smart blu ray players, virtually all of the brand name units have streaming integrated into them. For instance, I don't think you can even buy a Samsung blu ray player that doesn't have a streaming component. Most of the streaming blu ray players are going to run in the $70-$100 range and all will get the job done.

Only area of concern is whether the streaming device you pick supports everything you want to watch. For instance, Amazon has gotten picky with who they will and won't support. Chromecast does not natively support Amazon Prime video. Samsung does not currently support HBO Go on their blu ray players. There are of course others as well.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:25 PM

21,558 posts, read 24,696,878 times
Quote:

My Samsung f8000 interface was not any better before it died. Tried a few Blu-ray players and they all froze during streaming (my internet is 150 Mbps). Went with a Roku and absolutely no problems.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I have great wifi in my house as well. I still prefer to have a wired connection to certain devices that are going to consume a lot of data. It's simply more reliable and avoids "traffic" issues. Of course, none of this may be an issue for you. I have 5 people in my house, including 3 kids, and multiple devices all competing for bandwidth. Beyond that, I gave the suggestion because of the issue related to the use of the headphones. No matter what streaming solution you choose, it will require a change of input. I fear you may have the same issue with the headphones regardless of what solution you choose. Given that, the literally five minute fix of the powerline LAN to use what you already have, may not seem so bad afterall.
Thank you for the additional information! I'm sincerely grateful. There's only two people here, and most of the time, we're watching the tv together. BUT The headphones are an issue. For that reason alone, I appreciate your advice and I will go back and do some additional research on the powerline LAN.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:57 PM

21,558 posts, read 24,696,878 times
Quote:
Thank you for the additional information! I'm sincerely grateful. There's only two people here, and most of the time, we're watching the tv together. BUT The headphones are an issue. For that reason alone, I appreciate your advice and I will go back and do some additional research on the powerline LAN.
There is a headphone jack in the Roku remote.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
There is a headphone jack in the Roku remote.
There is and it works well, but as far as I know it does not allow you to use headphones and the regular speakers at the same time. Most people in the OP's situation have one person that needs to listen very loud, so they use headphones. The other person listens at a normal volume from the regular TV speakers. The Roku feature is great, but only allows one or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics