Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2017, 11:18 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times

Advertisements

We all know Dude's love for analog and older technologies. Although it sometimes seems silly to me, I actually do understand part of where he is coming from, and applaud his views in certain ways.

I recently completed a major task and decided that I needed to reward myself with a "treat." To that effect I did some online research, drove to Best Buy and a couple other places and tried to figure out what I might want in a new TV. The employees were all very helpful and willing to show the distinctions of various sets at the price points I had suggested.

I then stood there looking at the sets, began reviewing things like Vizeo being less expensive because it forces use of your smartphone for a remote, the "smart-azz" components of Samsung where you and your viewing habits are reported on, the PITA that can occur when control is relinquished to a system, whether set-top or integrated.

I then did a reality check that I don't use Directv or Dish anymore, my only internet option is satellite through Exede with a 10G data cap and throughput that doesn't like anything high-res, and that I don't have cell phone coverage. By far, the best way to "improve" my viewing experience according to the latest technology is to move to an urban area and start paying out more bucks on an ongoing basis.

Reflecting on this, and on the ultra-clear, ultra-bright, ultra-clean displays of content, it hit me that the images on-screen depicting events in real life were actually more color saturated, more distinct, and more appealing than reality.

I don't want my viewing experience to be better than real life. I don't want to be looking at a beautiful scene like my creek or a sunset and start to think "Wow, this would be so much better viewed on my TV!"

In the end, I decided to get a last generation 1080P projector at 1/3 the cost of the 65+" display that I would have wanted - fully knowing that the picture won't be as good. It will, however, be great for my library of rare older films and programs, and be much more like the movie experience that has been my career for much of my life. Now I just need to find an organist willing to come and play a Mighty Wurlitzer for the pre-show entertainment.

If you love your 4K large screen, fantastic! If is doesn't bother you that reality looks a little more dull, fine. If you think I am a stuck-in-the-mud, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Like Dude, I have an appreciation for older technology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 11:23 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times
I am still using my 50" Plasma from 2005. I've resisted the temptation and refuse to upgrade. I want to get my money worth. Some of you may remember how insanely priced these were back then, especially for a non generic brand. Yeah.. I am still on 1080i.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:50 AM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
I don't know what they were showing, but I read that the stuff they are running on TV's is a sales pitch - carefully selected sceneries or other stuff edited, colored,sharpened and made prettier than reality, because clients should come to conclusion that they get a superior TV set with super sharp, flawless picture quality, amazing sound etc...etc... They seldom run just news or other regular program on them.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:43 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I may be becoming like Dude!
You'd need to use far more exclamation points and upper case words if you want to compete

Old 02-03-2017, 08:14 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Nooooooooo. No more Dudes! please!

GOod post though. I don't care how saturated they make something looks, when I open my eyes, I can see much more then 65"... I don't think TV's will ever make me jaded on real life.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:33 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,504,464 times
I found years ago that content matters much more than picture "quality", at least for me. 4K? I'll wait until you can't buy anything else. Remember the days of 720P sets? 720 or 1080? Who could tell the difference.

We were late adopters of flat panel-did it around 2005. Before then, we used poor-man wide screen. We had a 20" tube set. We sat very close! Content ruled then - if the story was good, who cared that the screen was small.

Content rules? See, for example, cell phone video streaming...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics