U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-06-2017, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,853 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Reputation: 8083

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shailene View Post
I also don't see the need for smart speakers like amazon echo. I really don't see anything they can do that smartphone can't.
My Amazon Dot reads me the news every morning. Controls the lighting in my house. And the thermostat and power to the TV. Although I rarely use it for the thermostat.

Quote:
I did bought myself a projector back when I have my apartment and was always excited to come home to my own drive through theater everyday! I use my wall as screen. I mostly use it to watch movies, and as my PC projector and found out how expensive it is to replace the lamps. $250 a pop. I think I replaced it twice in a span of a year or 2 so I stopped using it as pc monitor. Currently it's collecting dust.
Wow, really? My projector is 5 years old, original bulb. Any idea how many hours on the bulbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-07-2017, 02:49 AM
 
26,158 posts, read 15,755,236 times
Reputation: 17235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarlandbubba
I am old school
Me two!!!

I would love getting a videodisc player! (MONO)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 03:15 AM
 
25 posts, read 16,443 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt View Post
All i need is an iPad.
What do you primarily use it for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2017, 06:19 PM
 
169 posts, read 93,540 times
Reputation: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
My Amazon Dot reads me the news every morning. Controls the lighting in my house. And the thermostat and power to the TV. Although I rarely use it for the thermostat.

OH wow that's a cheap smart speaker. But like I said, there really is nothing it can do that smartphones can't. Especially now I have a google assistant on my smartphone.



Wow, really? My projector is 5 years old, original bulb. Any idea how many hours on the bulbs?
Hmmm. You can actually check it on projector how many hours left. I forgot, that was like ages ago last time I use my projector. It's obvious my PC is ALWAYS on so that's why I have to replace it that fast, what about you? Oh my PC is an all in one entertainment PC where you can also hook up TV antenna so yeah I watch TV on projector too via my PC. Why did your lamp last that long? Use it only for movies? I have an epson what's yours?

By the way I am shaking my head how I paid almost $1000 on my projector I think it was like in 2005. And now I see pocket size better quality HD projectors for like $250?!!! UGH. And I have this BIG projector and expensive lamp replacement. UGH. Wonder how much are the lamps for those small projectors though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2017, 08:22 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,853 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Reputation: 8083
Epson also. Only for ,movies, so yea... that's why mine is STILL running on the original bulb. Mine wasn't a grand though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2017, 08:51 AM
Status: "Absolute power corrupts absolutely." (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: City Data Land
15,571 posts, read 9,007,561 times
Reputation: 30730
I want to get the NES Classic. It's the small machine that plays the 30 preinstalled retro games. It reminded me of my younder days when I played all the fun ones like Super Mario Brother. It came out in November of last year but sold out even before the official release date!. It was supposed to only cost $60 but after it sold out, there were none to be had. Since then, Nintendo has not released any more and the only ones that are available are more than 3 times the original price
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2017, 05:48 PM
 
169 posts, read 93,540 times
Reputation: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Epson also. Only for ,movies, so yea... that's why mine is STILL running on the original bulb. Mine wasn't a grand though.
I bought mine on best buy. What year did you buy yours and how much? Just curious coz I thought I actually got a good deal then.

But then again I bought an almost $200 external disk drive at best buy too in 2007(?). And also thought I got a good deal. I can't believe I was not a smart shopper then. More like a cheap shopper. Online is always cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2017, 05:51 PM
 
169 posts, read 93,540 times
Reputation: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I want to get the NES Classic. It's the small machine that plays the 30 preinstalled retro games. It reminded me of my younder days when I played all the fun ones like Super Mario Brother. It came out in November of last year but sold out even before the official release date!. It was supposed to only cost $60 but after it sold out, there were none to be had. Since then, Nintendo has not released any more and the only ones that are available are more than 3 times the original price
You guys haven't heard of emulators for PC? I actually played wii games on my laptop too. LOL, I remember playing wii on my laptop with a wii controller. My sister's kids have wii system but I don't want to buy the game so I uhm downloaded it on my laptop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2017, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in northern Alabama
18,592 posts, read 55,510,434 times
Reputation: 32385
Quote:
Originally Posted by shailene View Post
Hmmm. You can actually check it on projector how many hours left. I forgot, that was like ages ago last time I use my projector. It's obvious my PC is ALWAYS on so that's why I have to replace it that fast, what about you? Oh my PC is an all in one entertainment PC where you can also hook up TV antenna so yeah I watch TV on projector too via my PC. Why did your lamp last that long? Use it only for movies? I have an epson what's yours?

By the way I am shaking my head how I paid almost $1000 on my projector I think it was like in 2005. And now I see pocket size better quality HD projectors for like $250?!!! UGH. And I have this BIG projector and expensive lamp replacement. UGH. Wonder how much are the lamps for those small projectors though.
I have one of the little ones (less than $100) that is around 1000 lumens. The LED lightsource apparently never needs replacing. (At that price it would be wiser to replace the entire unit anyway.) My larger BenQ uses a xenon lamp that lasts around 10,000 hours. That is decent. I'm used to the big 2,000 watt xenon lamps used in movie theatres. Those are scarey things that can dent steel lamphousings if they blow, and require faceshields and welder's gauntlets to replace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2017, 10:20 PM
 
169 posts, read 93,540 times
Reputation: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I have one of the little ones (less than $100) that is around 1000 lumens. The LED lightsource apparently never needs replacing. (At that price it would be wiser to replace the entire unit anyway.) My larger BenQ uses a xenon lamp that lasts around 10,000 hours. That is decent. I'm used to the big 2,000 watt xenon lamps used in movie theatres. Those are scarey things that can dent steel lamphousings if they blow, and require faceshields and welder's gauntlets to replace.
Reminded me, my lamp actually caught on fire!! LOL. I was watching my projector and I just saw like shadow? Then I check my projecor and was shocked to see the lamp on fire I was really panicking just turned off the projector right away. It actually has like a shadowy part now. I hope it's just soot from the fire in the housing lamp and hopefully I can wipe it off.

Scary though but it just proves that my projector was on ALL the time. Obviously not safe nor doable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:11 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top