U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2017, 07:11 PM

10,169 posts, read 10,499,754 times

Advertisements

I told my friend in Las Vegas that she should have no trouble getting an antenna signal because TVFool said her signals were all from -24 to -36 dBm Pwr from broadcast towers 21-23 miles away and are all Line of Sight. Instead she is getting terrible reception, with a great deal pf pixelation or no signal at all. However she got a strong signal that TVFool says has a signal level of -78dBm.

I am puzzled. The only thing that I can think of is that the northern part of the Las Vegas strip is directly between her the broadcast tower. The station that is nominally supposed to be so much worse is in Pahrump, which is on the other side of mountains of Red Rock Canyon and just south of Charleston Peak. However, she is getting a strong signal from there.

I've lost all credibility with her so I don't know if I should tell her to get an amplified antenna or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 09:51 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,550,455 times
With only 23 miles and line of sight, all channels available from the tower should be received with no problem, without an amped antenna.
I receive signals from 40 miles with antenna in the attic over my garage with signals passing thru an oak tree by the street curb.
Is her antenna pointing to the tower as referred on TVfool and antennaweb.org
Check the connection on the TV, the cable and the connection at the antenna.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:13 PM

18,567 posts, read 55,502,062 times
Too many variables to say for sure.

Yes, if there are tall buildings she could be in a shadow.

Antenna location can be HIGHLY sensitive. Literally a few feet can make all the difference. I walked my property and roof a number of times before setting my antenna.

If the antenna is directional and is pointed in the wrong direction...

Old 02-16-2017, 10:25 PM

8,796 posts, read 5,884,116 times
I've always found "store bought" antenna to be of much worth. Do a homemade antenna, you will probably have better results.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:47 PM

9,599 posts, read 12,534,106 times
What make and model is the antenna? Where is it mounted?

Old 02-17-2017, 03:40 PM

10,169 posts, read 10,499,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
What make and model is the antenna? Where is it mounted?
RCA Digital Flat Passive Antenna $19.88. It was mounted flush to the window facing East, the towers are South east at 118-130 degrees

Antenna Web says A Small Multidirectional Antenna is recommended to receive this station. Look for the CTA-certified Yellow mark on the antenna's box. for 10 stations. The CTA-certification is for outdoor antennas only.

For my home Antenna Web says A Medium Directional Antenna is recommended to receive this station. Look for the CTA-certified Red mark on the antenna's box. However, I am able to tune in the station with just rabbit ears mounted in a basement window.

I told her that Yellow should be a piece of cake. She doesn't have an attic, nor does she have the ability or the money to hire someone to climb the roof and mount an expensive antenna and run wires into the home. Remember that she is desperately ill, and the antenna is a way to save money without giving up television completely.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:01 PM

2,906 posts, read 1,708,175 times
you probably have a multipath problem

Old 02-18-2017, 08:31 AM

40,293 posts, read 41,843,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
RCA Digital Flat Passive Antenna $19.88. It was mounted flush to the window facing East, the towers are South east at 118-130 degrees

That antenna works well at my Grandmothers, zilch at my house. I picked up a better antenna and I get most of the stations with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or