Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 05:43 AM

392 posts, read 317,313 times

Advertisements

I am old school and still play records on an old turntable with 30 years old JBL speakers. But recently, I have been thinking about getting some new toys.

Amazon Echo?
Nest?
That Google "box" advertised during the Super Bowl?

What electronic toys did you buy for your home in the last 12 months or will buy in the next 12 months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 07:18 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,020,839 times
Echo
Nest Thermos and Cameras
Lifx Smart Bulbs
Wemo smart outlets
Rachio sprinkler controller

Love being able to control a lot of aspects of my home through Alexa or apps. Pretty cool to be able to turn on or off lights when you are halfway around the world and see exactly what the animals are up to in the house.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:06 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,793,278 times
I'm not too big on smart-home gadgetry (don't like the idea of tying my house too closely to tech that will be outdated in a year anyways), but I do have an Amazon Fire TV Stick on order. Looking forward to having a single device that can be used with Alexa for both Prime Music and Prime videos (and can also be used to play Youtube, etc).

Badly need to get some kind of wifi repeater - a couple corners of my house have very weak signal. Had bad experiences with these in the past, hopefully the technology has improved.

I did recently spend some $ to change nearly all of the lightbulbs in our house to LED. Price has finally plunged to a level where it made sense to never again (as long as I will likely own the house, at least) climb up a ladder to change a high-mounted floodlight bulb.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:22 AM
ptt

497 posts, read 637,279 times
All i need is an iPad.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:06 AM

392 posts, read 317,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
Echo
Nest Thermos and Cameras
Lifx Smart Bulbs
Wemo smart outlets
Rachio sprinkler controller

Love being able to control a lot of aspects of my home through Alexa or apps. Pretty cool to be able to turn on or off lights when you are halfway around the world and see exactly what the animals are up to in the house.
Thanks Haudi. I am leaning towards getting the Echo.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I see no need for either of those, the are not any more useful than Siri on the iPhone and iPad. We do have a wifi extender to use mobile devices outside and all over the house which is big and 2 story, and have replaced most of our lighting with LED.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:38 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Nest
Hue Lighting
Amazon Tap
- was a present, I'd rather have the Google one, but it's working great. Recommend over the Echo.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:41 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Must have?

Have not bought a must have in a long time.

The must have I really enjoy and use pretty much every day is my UE Boom Bluetooth speaker.
I got it originally to use in the yard (and we do), but it lived in my bathroom so I can listen to music/podcasts or hear the tv in the shower or while drying my hair.

This thing is truly worth the money and I never imagined that it would be. I had for years and I literally use it every day.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:43 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
BenQ projector for my video watching. The price/performance ratio came to a point where I finally spent the money. Coupled with my old Onkyo and sound setup, when I watch an Imax DVD it is every bit as good as I experienced in Imax. (Better in that I always get to sit in the sweet spot and none of my speakers have blown cones.) Watching the space shuttle lift off in full glory on a floor to ceiling image in my living room makes me smile. Watching "Lawrence of Arabia" and seeing the scope and brilliance of Freddy's cinematography makes me happy.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:02 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,505,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
Badly need to get some kind of wifi repeater - a couple corners of my house have very weak signal. Had bad experiences with these in the past, hopefully the technology has improved.
I set up a powerline networking link to my deadspot, then used a new point of presence there. Worked much, much better than any repeater. Very fast, too. With repeaters, you lose a lot of speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics