Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 01:30 PM

5,323 posts, read 8,492,938 times

Advertisements

If you have a DVR, will you please do this quick experiment and tell me your results? Turn off all devices in the room where your DVR is. Basically, make the room as silent as possible. Then, listen to see if you can hear your DVR when you are within ten or so feet of it, when it is off, and when it is on. (Assuming you have decent hearing in general).

My DVR was replaced last week and the new one is driving me nuts. I can hear an extremely high-pitched whining type noise coming from it. I can hear it across the room, when the unit is turned off (as well as when its on- it might be a tiny bit louder when its on).

I've had DirecTV for many years and this is the first time I have been able to hear the DVR. I don't think I should be able to hear it, but now I am wondering if the new ones are like this. Mine last one was five years old.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 02:46 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,709,862 times
Maybe you got a bad one........ You should ask for a replacement

Old 03-19-2017, 07:08 PM

anyone going to do my experiment?

I found this video of a Verizon DVR - mine sounds like this, only a tiny bit quieter, and with no fluctuation in the high-pitched whiny sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SBuQCC6wV4

Old 03-19-2017, 07:15 PM

ok, even better - this is almost an exact match to the sound (mine is just a hair lower in volume/tone) - I love YouTube!!! So cool to find this exact sound somewhere!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN1s...ature=youtu.be

Old 03-19-2017, 09:41 PM

2,741 posts, read 2,965,008 times
I don't need to do your experiment. I also can hear noise from my dvr, even when it's "off". I'm 58 years old, male, and I've always had, and still have extremely acute hearing. It doesn't hurt my ears though, as it's not extreme and shouldn't be or something is wrong.

Dvr's (most anyways) are never really "off", when you turn them "off" it typically only turns off the display and lights. The harddrive on them is always spinning, and that's what you are most likely hearing.

IF it's hurting your ears, you need to call and ask for another one as a replacement, as drives aren't supposed to make noise at that pitch.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:46 PM

2,741 posts, read 2,965,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
ok, even better - this is almost an exact match to the sound (mine is just a hair lower in volume/tone) - I love YouTube!!! So cool to find this exact sound somewhere!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN1s...ature=youtu.be

THAT ultrasonic noise would give me a splitting headache if I had to listen to it longer than a few minutes. If THAT is what you are hearing, it is NOT NORMAL!

Tell them you want the dvr replaced.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
THAT ultrasonic noise would give me a splitting headache if I had to listen to it longer than a few minutes. If THAT is what you are hearing, it is NOT NORMAL!

Tell them you want the dvr replaced.
Thanks, yes, that is indeed the noise. Like I said, mine is just a tad less loud/intense than that one, but the second I heard that video, I was like "that is the noise!!!"

I know that electronics can have fans and such, but this is not a fan noise. That would actually be pleasant compared to this high-pitched squeal.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:12 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,145 posts, read 80,240,475 times
Our very old Comcast DVR emits a faint sound from the cooling fan, that's it. I had to turn off everything else and place my ear nearby to hear it. While watching a show there is no additional sound. I would definitely suggest getting it exchanged. I would probably never have noticed, since we have the sound of a fish tank air bubbler in the same room.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:31 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,309,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I am wondering if the new ones are like this.
I don't have to do an experiment to know that if my DVR was making noise that was bothering me, I'd have already called and asked them to replace it.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:19 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,510,636 times
The guts of a DVR is not much different from a PC. Both have a fan and a hard drive inside, either of which can make noise. I can hear ours whirring if I get close enough to it but its very muted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics