Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 04:08 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,038,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
In the last couple of years I replaced all my TV sets after 15 to 20 years of live on older TVs. I bought 3 different Samsung TVs. One purchased most recently at Costco is failing already after less than a year. Does anyone still make a long lasting TV? I had a Sony which worked great for a long time is there TV still made to last? I get that TVs are cheap now but the hassle of replacing them this quick is not something I like. Any advice? I would gladly play three times the price of these cheap TVs to get one that would last.. I don't need the latest features just a TV with sound and picture that is reliable long term.

On LCD and LED flat panels, go into your picture menu and one or the other of the following:

Set Picture Mode to 'Movie' or 'Cinema'

or

Lower the setting 'Back Light' from the max setting it is typically set to at factory, to halfway or two thirds of max.

That alone should add some years to the devices's lifespan.

9 out of 10 flat panel TV owners don't even know a menu *exists*, let alone goes into it and explores it.
No wonder they suffer eyestrain or their TVs last only 3 or so years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 08:10 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
My first go at a Hi Def flat screen was a Westinghouse...a mistake. It died under warranty but I had to ship it away and wait 6 weeks. They sent me a replacement that was re-manufactured I think. It lasted a year and died. Both were LCD's. Now I have a Samsung plasma I got it about 3 years ago and so far so good. Not long after the last of the plasma makers gave up I think.
Don't get me started on Westinghouse TVs. There is a Facebook page devoted to them:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/466560093396658/

When we finally got a refund on ours, we bought a Panasonic from Costco, with the 5 year warranty for only $45. That ensures it will last 5 years, and by then the technology will be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics