U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2017, 04:56 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,234,390 times

Advertisements

I have a 1800 sq ft house with 4 tvs. The 2 tvs that are connected to cable boxes (for recording) work fine. The other 2 tvs are connected directly by cable ports. On those 2 tvs I keep getting "weak signal" and can only access some channels. Is there an easy way to boost the signal for those 2 tvs? The current cables are about 6 ft from the cable ports. Is there a better type of cable than the one provided by the cable company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 08:51 AM

3,991 posts, read 2,627,494 times
If you are paying a cable company, call them and complain. If both TV's have similar issues then it is probably not the individual connections to each TV that have the problem but possibly the main cable coming to your house. It could be a faulty or un-grounded connector somewhere. It could be a lot of things.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:47 PM

5,896 posts, read 4,423,785 times
You probably need an extra booster installed to increase the signal to the other two TVs. Your cable company can do that.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:40 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,290,625 times
Most of the time they will install a booster to your outside connection. As a former installer, we would do this if more than 4 tvs are going to be used. Simply fact of signal lost at the splitter is greater than 3.5db lost per port. So if the signal is already bad coming in, the splitter will make it worst. So call your local cable company and have them install what is call in-line booster. DO NOT GET the ones you see in radio shack. They only boost the low end frequency ranges. You need something to boost the higher end. Only the cable companies can provide them, and they are free for the first 4 than a small fee for anything after. Each booster can only supply enough for 4-6 tvs depending on the signal quality.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:29 PM

10,170 posts, read 10,501,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
If you are paying a cable company, call them and complain.
I agree. The technicians don't always do intelligent things, but they will stay at it until it works. Frequently they simply replace your equipment.

But cable is very expensive, and they will work at it until you have a functioning system.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:34 AM

21,558 posts, read 24,696,878 times
Call the Cable company and they'll to a db test to see where your loss is happening. It may something as small as one connector or some thing as large as replacing cables. To give you an example, my neighbor and I were having loses is signals. In my home the CC replaced a splitter and the connector from my home the CC system. In my neighbors home, they rewired his entire home. We're both resolved now.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:43 PM

1,759 posts, read 3,242,649 times
You can log into your cable modem and get reports out of it. It's been a while since I looked at this, and I am not in the business. But I was able to get some useful information out my my modem. See: Access the Secret Diagnostic Page Built Into Your Cable Modem
I looked up Time Warner cable's forum and there were a couple of techs on there who were very knowledgeable and helpful.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:39 PM

40,302 posts, read 41,850,213 times
Are the splits daisy chained or do you have one splitter with multiple cables running to all the TV's?

If they are daisy chained the signal will get much weaker as you go down the chain. If you have multi splitter the signal is equally split between all the cables. With the daisy chain it's halved at the first split, that half going to the next split it gets halved again.......

As someone already mentioned this could also be something as simple as bad connector.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:21 PM

2,393 posts, read 2,742,748 times
It may be as simple as your connections. Check to see if they are all tight and if you have a splitter, make sure it is a good one. Sometimes cable companies use crap splitters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics