U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 10:06 AM

21,550 posts, read 24,690,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
^ most people did their conversion to DVD years ago. If you're one of the laggards, that's your choice. Obviously I hit a nerve of your's. Sorry about that.
Most is not all. My copying of old media pretty much ended in 2010. That being said, I still have the device and if a need arises I can have it setup and ready for use in under 10 minutes and I don't need to tie up a computer to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 11:39 AM

18,565 posts, read 55,493,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Maybe you should be aware that new TV come with RCA jacks solely to be compatible with obsolete equipment like vcr and ancient DVD recorder/copiers. You can't even buy stand alone, designed for TV, recorder/copiers anymore, except perhaps used on ebay (I did not look). We don't know what the OP uses the thing for, so hard to recommend more up to date alternatives, such as copying through a computer.
There are those who drink the kool-aid about having to "upgrade" and then there are those of us who have learned that older technology can be simpler, more elegant, and last longer. We were taken in a couple of times and learned our lessons. I chuckle when I see the "latest" LP Records in the stores, and review my collection of about 20 linear feet of old ones and my very serviceable old turntable. The "upgrades" ran in a perfect circle.

As someone on the edge of television signals, "upgrades" to the resolution of digital simply make for more dropouts and unwatchable OTA signals. "Upgrades" to wifi made routers go from simple boxes to frikkin porcupines to deal with all the interference and other issues, while the old CAT5 sings merrily along. If you think all "upgrades" are good or aimed to help the consumer and not the providers and equipment manufacturers, then you are a fool or have a vested interest in Samsung.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:23 PM

2,906 posts, read 1,707,067 times
Pea, who said all upgrades are good? Not me. I spoke about new technologies that can deliver real benefits, such as better resolution and easier handling.

The big issue, IMHO, is distinguishing between marketing gimmick like 3D TV (seen any goggles lately), versus flat panel (LCD mostly) TV vs old tube sets (perhaps you've held on to the latter?)

Blue-ray I put into the mkt category. I could not see a difference between blue-ray and regular DVD upscaled with a good scaler. So I have a blue-ray player that plays DVD. Works fine for me.

We now face another onslaught of marketing driven features such as 4K (no content) and HDR (no content, and doubt that the "improvement" will be noticeable for most people.) I'd add "smart" TV to the marketing hype category.

Routers? What are you buying? Mine are basically plug and play, although I do pay attention to security. Cat5? Puleez. I don't want to drag a cable with me as I move around the house. My spouse would be quite unhappy to have to plug in a dongle in order to use ethernet on her ipad.

There will always be technology laggards. You may or may not be in that category. Nothing wrong with being a laggard if you're happy with the limitations.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:53 PM

18,565 posts, read 55,493,012 times
There was a period where I was at the forefront of tech. I had a carphone when the first bricks were just being introduced. I explored writing commercial programs for the C64. Been There, Done That, Paid the $$$.

Cat 5 runs in my crawlspace to an access point. Even though I'm in the country I get interference. Range extenders have their own issues.

You mention "no content." You are spot on. There are movies available on VHS that never made it to DVD. "Smart" to me is just another way to track viewing and annoy with pleas to pay for additional services. HDMI was designed to be user unfriendly except in very narrow applications. I choose.

RCA plugs are simply a method of maintaining a connection where the signal is shielded by the ground and therefore not subject to interference. It is, in a way, a termination for short run co-ax, along with its secured connection BNC counterpart. I doubt RCA plugs will ever be completely obsolete.

I waited on my projection tv. Why? Because I had a price point I wanted and I wanted some of the bugs to have a chance to get ironed out. I've no objection to improvements, but I don't buy that older technology "needs" to be upgraded.

Old 04-08-2017, 04:05 PM

2,906 posts, read 1,707,067 times
Many of my "upgrades" have been driven by hardware. Let me explain. I bought a blue-ray player when my DVD player failed. As I said before, I don't use the blue-ray - no benefit for me. I was a late adopter of a smart phone because it took me years to figure out why I'd want one. Email didn't do it for me. I got one 3-4 years ago because I found a need - location based services such as google maps and yelp for travel.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:15 AM

5,115 posts, read 4,723,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I have a dvd recorder and the RCA plug broke off inside the video out jack.

The hole is too small for my tweezers, there is no portion of the broken plug sticking out onto which I could grab.

I opened up the dvd recorder to see if I could push it back out from the other side, but there is no access.

I tried screwing in a long, thin screw to try and get hold of it, but that does not work. It is in there too solidly for any glue to pull it out and I don't think putting glue in the jack is going to be good for the jack.

Anyone have any ideas on this?
As a last resort and prior to actually replacing the electronic component, you might try a bit of epoxy and the head end of a brad nail. Let it set up, maybe try to crimp the end of the broken jack over the epoxy blob, and then take a pair of pliers to yank out the nail. Worst thing that would happen is that the nail comes out and leaves the epoxy behind, and you'll simply be back to replacing the component.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics