U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 03:50 PM

43,563 posts, read 19,132,042 times

Advertisements

I have a dvd recorder and the RCA plug broke off inside the video out jack.

The hole is too small for my tweezers, there is no portion of the broken plug sticking out onto which I could grab.

I opened up the dvd recorder to see if I could push it back out from the other side, but there is no access.

I tried screwing in a long, thin screw to try and get hold of it, but that does not work. It is in there too solidly for any glue to pull it out and I don't think putting glue in the jack is going to be good for the jack.

Anyone have any ideas on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 04:30 PM

2,313 posts, read 1,582,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I have a dvd recorder and the RCA plug broke off inside the video out jack.

The hole is too small for my tweezers, there is no portion of the broken plug sticking out onto which I could grab.

I opened up the dvd recorder to see if I could push it back out from the other side, but there is no access.

I tried screwing in a long, thin screw to try and get hold of it, but that does not work. It is in there too solidly for any glue to pull it out and I don't think putting glue in the jack is going to be good for the jack.

Anyone have any ideas on this?
If it's sealed inside the box and no way to push it out from there, something like this is pretty much your only way, and I believe it would work:

10pc Screw Extractor | Left Hand Cobalt Drill Bit Set Easy Out Broken Bolt

Old 04-06-2017, 05:16 PM

18,567 posts, read 55,502,062 times
I know how to solder and remove components, so I would just replace the jack. You've done the obvious tricks. You could make a heavy-duty paperclip into an L shape to try to catch an edge. Spraying silicone spray into the jack might make it release the remnants. The glue trick might work as a last resort.

If you need to go ugly, clip the tip and jamb the plug of a short cord in to get a strong connection, then put a female/female adapter on the other end of the cord. Once you are certain the connection is solid, glue it in place. As I said, ugly, but most connections are hidden anyway.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:41 PM

43,563 posts, read 19,132,042 times
Thanks.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:44 PM

21,552 posts, read 24,693,354 times
These type of tools:
https://www.amazon.com/OdontoMed2011...al+metal+picks

Old 04-07-2017, 05:47 PM

2,906 posts, read 1,707,067 times
People still use RCA jacks? Thought those became obsolete about 10-15 years ago, at least for video.

Time for some new gear.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
People still use RCA jacks? Thought those became obsolete about 10-15 years ago, at least for video.

Time for some new gear.
Maybe you should read the OP again as it's a DVD recorder/copier. The current ones still come RCAs as how else would one copy from a VCR. Also take a look at a few 70" TVs as many of them have RCA jacks.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Maybe you should read the OP again as it's a DVD recorder/copier. The current ones still come RCAs as how else would one copy from a VCR. Also take a look at a few 70" TVs as many of them have RCA jacks.
Maybe you should be aware that new TV come with RCA jacks solely to be compatible with obsolete equipment like vcr and ancient DVD recorder/copiers. You can't even buy stand alone, designed for TV, recorder/copiers anymore, except perhaps used on ebay (I did not look). We don't know what the OP uses the thing for, so hard to recommend more up to date alternatives, such as copying through a computer.

Old 04-08-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Maybe you should be aware that new TV come with RCA jacks solely to be compatible with obsolete equipment like vcr and ancient DVD recorder/copiers. You can't even buy stand alone, designed for TV, recorder/copiers anymore, except perhaps used on ebay (I did not look). We don't know what the OP uses the thing for, so hard to recommend more up to date alternatives, such as copying through a computer.
And here you are conflicting yourself when you stated obsolete as in no longer in use. Well it still exists and is still actively sold.

https://www.hsn.com/products/protis-...Fc1WDQodSv0ClQ

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-...Tuner/46444956

I don't understand why people like you who want to turn something easy into something complicated. It's easy to use a standalone device to copy from one type of media to another by pressing one button. Yet people like you think that people need to use a computer, purchase a input device, load and use software and render just to make it look better for viewing all the while tying up a computer to do so.

Old 04-08-2017, 09:38 AM

^ most people did their conversion to DVD years ago. If you're one of the laggards, that's your choice. Obviously I hit a nerve of your's. Sorry about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics