U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 05:16 PM

13,642 posts, read 7,111,092 times

Advertisements

and tell me what is wrong with my TV? Prime tells me I don't have a high enough resolution to watch TWD in HD, but when I had cable I could watch HD on the same TV. And have watched other streaming HD since cutting cable...........TWD is kind of grainy and it tells me my resolution isn't high enough which is confusing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 05:20 PM

8,347 posts, read 4,700,257 times
What's the exact message you get? And what are you using? A roku connected via HDMI? What's your internet speed? I suspect it's more about not having enough bandwidth to get that resolution.
Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Old 04-06-2017, 06:22 PM

It's a Smart TV. Samsung has a smart hub internal. It's nothing like a roku or anything else that can be plugged into it.

I posted a link with the specs.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:03 PM

3,131 posts, read 1,311,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
and tell me what is wrong with my TV? Prime tells me I don't have a high enough resolution to watch TWD in HD, but when I had cable I could watch HD on the same TV. And have watched other streaming HD since cutting cable...........TWD is kind of grainy and it tells me my resolution isn't high enough which is confusing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It looks like the problem is with your TV's 60Hz "refresh rate." Before I purchased my HDTV, I was told to make sure that it had a 120Hz refresh rate. But here is some more information about refresh rates:

Quote:
What is refresh rate?

The refresh rate of a television represents the number of times per second that the image is flashed or refreshed on the screen. By flashing a series of still images, the TV (just like film or animation) creates the illusion of motion. The refresh rate is measured in hertz (named after physicist Heinrich Hertz, who did groundbreaking work on electromagnetism). So if a refresh rate is 120 Hz, it means that the image is refreshed 120 times per second. In theory, the more pictures per second, the more realistic the motion or video should appear.

. . .

So why does refresh rate matter?

The whole idea of film and video is to trick your visual cortex into believing that objects, actors and rocket ships flitting by on the screen are actually moving. So the more images per second that depict — say, a runner moving across the screen — the more natural or the smoother the motion will look.

Fewer images per second mean that each image stays on the screen that much longer, so the next image depicts more of a jump, making the motion look artificial and blurry. The blurry effect is exacerbated by LCD technology, which tends to retain the previous image for a fraction of a second, creating a blurry trailing edge.

So in theory, a higher refresh rate — say, 120 Hz — will look better than a 60-Hz refresh rate, especially in fast-paced action scenes and sporting events.
The Best TV Refresh Rate Is 120Hz (and Anything Higher Is a Lie)

Also, if you don't mind me asking... what forum was this thread moved from?

Old 04-06-2017, 08:12 PM

3,131 posts, read 1,311,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Hmmm. It looks like this thread is currently in limbo between the TV forum and the Consumer Electronics forum(where it looks like it should be).

Old 04-07-2017, 01:33 AM

918 posts, read 698,105 times
Resolution refers to 1080p which counts as HD...nothing wrong with your TV specs as presented here

Old 04-07-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william taylor View Post
it looks like the problem is with your tv's 60hz "refresh rate." before i purchased my hdtv, i was told to make sure that it had a 120hz refresh rate. But here is some more information about refresh rates:

the best tv refresh rate is 120hz (and anything higher is a lie)

also, if you don't mind me asking... What forum was this thread moved from?
tv.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:59 PM

Maybe this belongs here to: I learned that while I can stream HBO GO (that comes long with HBO cable subscription) I cannot stream HBO NOW (stand-alone). I was going to get a free trial or even pay for one month to see a show coming up (The Leftovers).

If I had known I would have gotten a roku for the BR instead of Blu-ray. I thought I was saving by getting blu-ray to stream as it does double duty.

Now I realize that was dumb. I only use the BR TV if I'm sick basically, and if I'm sick I won't be pawing through DVDs to watch!

Plenty on streaming to choose from.

Anyway, what is the cheapest device to use HBO NOW? Also STARZ and a couple others the smart TV won't do.

I doubt it will be worth it to me, but curious regardless.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
It looks like the problem is with your TV's 60Hz "refresh rate." Before I purchased my HDTV, I was told to make sure that it had a 120Hz refresh rate. But here is some more information about refresh rates:

The Best TV Refresh Rate Is 120Hz (and Anything Higher Is a Lie)

Yeah this confuses me. I thought I had learned what to look for at the time and either it has the 120Hz or 60Hz was said to be fine.

and again, it does HD for other things. It's only when I order TWD from Prime. So now for a really stupid q, and part of why I asked in TV forum: is TWD a little grainy now on purpose? They want it to look that way for some reason?

On the same TV I used to watch that same show HD with cable and I watch HD shows and movies all the time on it.

I only see this when I buy TWD from Prime.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:04 PM

If the season were not over I could buy an epi in SD and see what that looks like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics