U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 07:58 AM

7 posts, read 3,455 times

Advertisements

I recently purchased a Sanyo FWZV475F DVD Recorder / VCR Line-In Recording. I live in Central New York and have Spectrum (formerly Time Warner Cable) as my provider. The Sanyo is connected to my TV via an HDMI cable and works just fine. I'm trying to record from cable but have just learned that the best I can do is record in 480p mode or less.

My question is this; the cable box has the component connections but, I need to get the cable signal from the cable box to the DVD/VCR player. There is no way to do that unless I purchase an external tuner. Now, how do I figure out which one I need to buy? I'd like to do it right the first time without having to return a handful of them. Also, the back of the DVD/VCR shows a hookup called "coaxial digital audio out" The connector in fact is not the standard coaxial connection. The connector is similar to an RCA jack.

In any event, which external tuner do I need? I know that whichever one I use I will have to have the cable box set to the station I want to record and won't be able to watch another station while recording.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 09:40 AM

3,828 posts, read 5,988,071 times
Can't you use your cable box as the tuner?

Old 04-18-2017, 11:32 AM

18,567 posts, read 55,502,062 times
I'm confused. Your cable box has component but not composite out? If so you need a component to composite adapter, since the Sanyo has composite in.

The weak link in resolution is the VHS (if you use it) and then the DVD. IIRC, home DVD resolution only matches commercial DVDs when recorded in the 1 hr per disk mode - maybe the 2 hr per disk mode on some material.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:44 PM

3,988 posts, read 2,625,400 times
Your cable box is your tuner. Your cable box should have a coaxial connection (RF Out) that would normally go to your TV but in your case you will connect it to the "Ant In" on your Sanyo. It is a standard coaxial connection. It usually has a screw on connector and a pin in the middle. You can then connect your DVD/VCR to your TV using any connector you want. You will need to switch to that input on your TV when you want to view/record from your DVD player.

Here's a picture of the coaxial.

If your cable box has composite out (RCA) you could those as well instead of the coaxial. Those would be a red, white and yellow set of cables.

Neither cable is not capable of transmitting in HD. They are max 550 lines which is the NTSC standard and it is an analog connection.

Regardless of your connection, a DVD is max 480p. Your broadcast may be HD using an HDMI connection to your TV but your VCR/DVD is NOT HD so you are stuck with 480p.

Last edited by gguerra; 04-18-2017 at 04:54 PM..

Old 04-18-2017, 08:38 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,550,455 times
I have a LG RC897T DVD/VCR combo, purchased to convert a box of VHS tapes to disc. But connected to a DISH 211k receiver. DISH receiver HDMI to TV HDMI1. DISH receiver also has 'TV out' co-ax. Co-ax connected to recorder 'in from ant' for recording. For playback, 'HDMI output' to TV HDMI3 [HDMI2 on my Samsung is ARC for AV/Receiver]
LG recorder manual says it up scales to 1080 but hard to tell.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:50 AM

The problem I am having is this: There is no coaxial connectors on the back of the DVD/VCR. In the manual it states that #10 in the picture is "coaxial" audio out. The connector is NOT like the normal one found on a cable in/out. It is NOT like the one that gguerra shows in his picture. In fact there is no coaxial in/out at all on my model. That's the issue. If it had those connections then there would be no problem.

So now what?

Old 04-19-2017, 09:53 AM

I do have composite connections on the back of the cable box. It's a 5 wire connector. R/G/B and Red/White for the audio. If I connect from the cable box to the DVD/VCR then how do I get the signal from the DVD/VCR to the TV? I want 480p as the minimum and not 480i. Does that make sense?

Old 04-19-2017, 10:25 AM

3,828 posts, read 5,988,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelTheHawk View Post
................. how do I get the signal from the DVD/VCR to the TV? I want 480p as the minimum and not 480i. Does that make sense?
Use the HDMI out connector.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:17 PM

I already have the HDMI into the TV's HDMI2. What I wanted was to see the cable station I was tuned to like the old DVD/VCR's so that I knew it was going threw the system. How can I confirm that it's connected correctly if I can see what I'm recording. BTW, I was told that I could only record to the DVD and not the VCR.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, I use the composite connectors from the cable box to the DVD/VCR and tune it to HDMI1 as I do now and that will tell me its correct even though I can't see the signal to the DVD/VCR? I guess I'll do as you suggested and attempt to burn a DVD. That's how I originally had it connected thinking it will show me what I record. I just never recorded anything.

Wish me luck karlsch!!

Old 04-19-2017, 04:45 PM

3,988 posts, read 2,625,400 times
I looked up your DVD here and on page 18 it does state you have a coaxial. I guess the manual is wrong or you have a slightly different model?

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...page=18#manual

As I stated previously you still have composite connections on your DVD and on your TV. Those are essentially the same as the coaxial. The red/white/yellow RCA connections will work just as well.

So, from your cable box do HDMI to your TV and of course switch your input to HDMI to just watch TV
Do composite (RCA's) from your cable box to your DVD/VCR and then composite to your TV and switch to that input when you want to view/record from your DVD/VCR. You will of course still change channels on your cable box. You cannot record one thing and watch another since you only have one tuner. You could get another tuner but we'll leave that for later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics